40, Fat and unfit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
adds21 Well done! Milestones always help, and you drive to increase your loop gradually is going to pay big dividends.

just4fun

welcome to the forums, you've made some hard choices and respect to you for that.
I hope you continue to enjoy the cycling and good luck with the baby.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
adds21 said:
It's actually quite easy for me to add a bit onto my loop by simply going down some extra lanes. This evening I decided that I'd add an extra mile, and although that included a little more uphill bits, it obviously also included some extra downhill bits too! :wacko:

So, my 3 mile loop is now a 4 mile loop. I've already planned an extension to turn it into a 5.5 mile loop, but I'm not quite ready for that yet (and won't been until the week after next, as we're off on holiday next week).

A.

Excellent Adds, there seem to be a lot of us in the same sort of boat on here. I started late last year and couldn't complete the 3.5miles to the station without getting off and pushing. 42 years old, fat and unfit, but bloody determined. Got going properly in Jan and this month I've done over 400 miles and got my average speed up to 14mph, for my 40 mile round trip commute. It took me 4.5 hours the first time in Jan and now I'm under 3 hours.

Be warned though, cycle gear is addictive and so are bikes, by the end of May I should have 4 complete bikes:ohmy:

Radius

SHREDDER
Nice one, and just over 10mph for someone calling themselves fat and unfit isn't bad at all, and will definitely improve very quickly!

vandatubes

Like many here over weight unfit and unhappy so I got back on the bike after 20 year lay off.Still had my Roberts I bought all those years ago and purchased a Dahon Floder for my commute to work. Suffering from Diabetes and depression I had to make a change and stumbled on this forum and something in me got switched on and I wanted to join in with the coomuters who were sharing their experience. My progress has been slow and I commute 2 a week on the Dahon to avoid injury. I want to work torwards commuting (10 mile each way) everyday come rain or shine.Boy oh Boy how I ve missed riding cycles and I wonder how its been so long?

Congratulations on getting back on it, vandatubes, and good luck in your aim. A good time to start with the weather (hopefully!!) improving, longer days and all that .. you'll be fully up to speed before it all goes horrible again next winter.

beeley1

Hi guys. I have just hit the big 40 and have bought a new giant TCR C3 bike. I used to love cycling when I was younger, probably doing around a 100 miles at weekends (Im talking when I was a teenager, between then and now, I smoked too much drank too much and ate a really bad diet - now a bit overweight. Although I have now stopped smoking 2 years ago, cut down on the beer). I picked up my new bike and cycled the full 3 miles home. When I got back I felt ill, i was really dizzy (had to sit down) and my girlfriend said I had gone a funny colour! This passed in about half an hour. Is this normal, did I over do it for the first run? I have a feeling I was a bit dehydrated before I left and didnt have a drink during the run. I really want to get back into it, but a little worried. Any advice would be hugely appreciated! :-D

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi guys. I have just hit the big 40 and have bought a new giant TCR C3 bike. I used to love cycling when I was younger, probably doing around a 100 miles at weekends (Im talking when I was a teenager, between then and now, I smoked too much drank too much and ate a really bad diet - now a bit overweight. Although I have now stopped smoking 2 years ago, cut down on the beer). I picked up my new bike and cycled the full 3 miles home. When I got back I felt ill, i was really dizzy (had to sit down) and my girlfriend said I had gone a funny colour! This passed in about half an hour. Is this normal, did I over do it for the first run? I have a feeling I was a bit dehydrated before I left and didnt have a drink during the run. I really want to get back into it, but a little worried. Any advice would be hugely appreciated! :-D

Holy thread resurrection Batman...

Yes it is normal.
I did the same thing as you.. hit the big 40 (near 8 years ago), near 4 stone overweight. Bought a bike to commute to the train station which is a mile and a half away. It was alright the first journey there as it's mainly downhill. Coming home that evening however damn near killed me. My wife thought I was going to have a heart attack. I had to lie down for half hour. But I stuck at it and 8 years later...well just look at my mileage ticker below.

No one said exercise is easy. Your body takes time to adapt. And it will if you keep it up.
Good luck with your fitness and health. Your on the road to a fitter, healthier you.

Yip its perfectly normal on your first ride, it'll soon pass though as you get fitter :smile:

gelfy666

Über Member
hello, im just starting agn and finfing it hard...... im glad theirs other people out there also starting, this seems a friendly forum.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Beeley, after just a few months doing a regular 2 then 4 then 6 mile circuit, back on my bike after a 30 year gap, No.1 son came with me... at the time he was playing football twice a week and training so thought he's accompany his old dad on a quick ride round. He was the one lying on the grass feeling faint at the top of the circuit... That was in 2009, it's incredible how quickly you adapt to the regular exercise... and it becomes something you look forward to. I'm really looking forward to cycling 100 miles in one ride sometime soon!

e-rider

crappy member
unfortunately, when you start up again after a long time of smoking, boozing, and being overweight it is always going to be very difficult. A lot of people quit during this stage as it can be hard to get any enjoyment from it.
However, for those that stick with it, the rewards are huge. Within months you'll be cycling further, faster and feeling great afterwards too. Within a year or two, you'll have lost weight, you'll being entering 100 mile Sportives and will be dressed in a full lycra suit whizzing down the road at 30mph!!!
Keep going!

Top Bottom