40+ yr comeback

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by verticaldropout, 17 Apr 2010.

1. Hi I'm Ray and I'm been riding now for 3yrs after a long time away. I ride (road) solo when I can get out (work) and due to recent experiences it will probably stay that way.

I went to a Club Hill Climb some time ago with a view to riding back with the members and discuss my joining. It was a club I was a member of back in the 60's. I was dropped up a fairly steep climb not long into the ride (I allowed my HM to frighten me) but although they were aware I was only 100 yards behind for many miles with another member I was surprised that they didn't seem interested in us getting back on.
    I am fairly sure there was an understanding back in the old days that you always "got your companions home" and I remember vividly pushing riders from beginners to 1st cats for miles. I'm not talking about training or a chain gang just a Sunday ride.

I can't see any benefit in joining such a group and now sadly prefer the company of a MP3, riding when and where I choose.

2. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

Hi Ray. Get yourself out on some CycleChat forum rides! Every one that I've been on works on the principle of wait-for-the-slowest, especially at the top of hills.

Also, check out Northampton CTC - they won't ride off and leave you!

3. lukesdad

lukesdad Guest

Not good that. On sunday club rides its wait for everybody,at ours, Usually means doing a few hills more than once, but who cares. Its a social every other Sunday. If we want to train we do the forementioned above. No wonder half the social cyclists think we re prats, with knobs like that.:thumbsup:

4. Norm

Norm Guest

My concern about being left like that (or holding up others like that) is why I've only ever ridden alone or with a good friend.

5. bauldbairn

bauldbairn New Member

Hello and Welcome to CC. :smile:

6. JAC

JAC Active Member

Hi Ray and welcome from a fellow new boy.Returned to cycling some eighteen months ago and could not believe the attitude of most cyclists on the road.If there is a group in the Huddersfield area who actually enjoy riding out in a group / supporting those who are still getting up to speed in terms of fitness and experience - count me in

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice