42 words for snow for eskimos, how about 42 words for wind for cyclists...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lady_rider

Wind as in the weather (yes, I had to point that one out!). I've just noticed, sometimes the trees are hardly moving and I think 'GREAT!!! A wind-free day'. I jump on my bike, pedal hard and seem to get absolutely nowhere because of a subtle but very insistent breeze which doesn't seem to be affecting the shrubbery at all. Other times it can look like it's blowing a gale, but it's fine being on a bike whether it's a head or tail wind. Weird... anyone else notice these anomalies or do I have my own little micro-climate?

PS Before you pedants point it out, I know that technically, Innuits don't have any more words for snow than we have. But it sounded good:cold:

wafflycat

Most of mine are unprintable in a public forum :biggrin: The most polite being "The Againsterly"

42 words for snow for eskimos...
Dunno how many words for wind there are, but the premise in the thread title is now known to be an urban myth :biggrin:

[edit] just read the final paragraph of the OP. OK so I'm a pedant!

As far as I'm concerned there's just one sort of wind. The sort that blows from the east when you're riding east, then veers round to the west when you turn about and ride west...:smile::evil:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Train wind.
That's the one that blows towards Peterborough or Cambridge, enabling me to ride to those places with a tailwind and then get the train back.
Not to be confused with utter-fecking-bastard-wind, which blows from Boulogne to Calais with great speed. This was fantastic for going to Calais at 30+ mph, right up until we discovered the trains were on strike. It was less fun grovelling back at 5 mph.

Top Bottom