5 bolt 94 mm PCD rings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
need to replace rings on my commuter - crank is shimano circa 1994:ohmy: and having trouble finding rings.

outer 42T, middle 32 T, 5 bolt pattern on 94 mm circle (PCD).

doesn't seem to be much of a choice.

also it seems it is almost more economical to buy new crankset?!?!? :sad:

so anyone know of good sources?

Maybe the commuting forum would yield a better answer than the mountain bike forum. just a thought :-)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
It'll be cheaper to buy a new Deore crankset ime...

If you want to replace the rings, SJS cycles will sell spares in all sizes...but then you could get a brand new deore chainset form CRC for the same price..

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
globalfish said:
Maybe the commuting forum would yield a better answer than the mountain bike forum. just a thought :-)

reason being?

It is an LX = mountain bike chainset so seemed logical to put it here.

and yeah, it appears to work out chepaer to replace the chanset but the hunt gopes on .....

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
ta - not look hard enough on CRC but they seem to have middle one, 42 T outer doesn;t seemto be made anymore.

looking like the crank is gonna have to go to shimano heaven, whcih is a real shame as there is nowt wrong with it. :whistle:

U

User482

Try Spa cycles - they sell Stronglight rings in a variety of sizes. I've just ordered a set of three at a total cost of £36.

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
thx - 2 stronglight rings would set me back £ 50, TA rings £ 75 ... doesn't look like it is economical to do.

I am looking at deore/lx/hone, all of which come circa £ 60 - hollowtech II inc BB.

may even get the XT or blingier and swap over a lesser crankset from another bike.

all in all, very annoying.

hone vs lx - what is difference???

02GF74 said:
hone vs lx - what is difference???

Hone is heavier duty than LX. Seems like your heading an odd route for a 'commuter' bike. I wouldn't have expected you to choose 'all mountain' spec components for a commuter. Or is this just an MTB you commute on rather than a lighter 'made for road' bike?

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
it's an mtb - my route entials going on a drit track to avoid cars - far too many of them for my liking ... and a lunvhtime i go to play in the woods or otjer tracks near work.

I have a slightly used silver 94BCD 42t Sugino CSSIII alooniman ring you can have for nowt. It's not super quality, pressed rather than CNCed, but it'll do the job.

Top Bottom