5 miles to warm up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kedab

Veteran
evening CC'ers :hello:
just been out for a quick 12 miles, ( i say quick, took about 45 minutes i think) and now i'm back on the bike after an 8 month hiatus (no injuries, just got lazy over the winter), i'm still wondering if it takes anyone else 5 miles or so before they feel properly warmed up? i seem to suffer in the first mile or two with a bit of lactic acid build up...even when i take it really easy. after 5 miles or so though, i feel ready to go. just the way i'm built or something i'm missing/getting wrong?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Yea thats about right for me, always take it easy for about 5 miles after that i start to feel good.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
A few minutes to warm up or even 5 miles sound about right. Not sure about lactic acid building up, if you're taking it easy though. Are you spinning an easy-ish gear during that period and what speed and terrain are you riding? Wouldn't have thought that should happen tbh.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
When you undertake any excercise or do activity such as cycle you breathe quickly to transfer oxygen to your working muscles. This is called areobic and is the prefered manner in which to produce energy. When there is a requirement for energy at a rate faster than the areobic system can provide, the additional energy is obtained from glucoze through a series of steps this is called anerobic. Lactate is a by product of this process and is dependent upon a lack of oxygen as such unless your warm up consists of sprinting flat out you will not be suffering from lactic acid build up of any kind.

tyred

Legendary Member
Definitely always need a few miles to get going properly.

I will never push myself hard until I have done about 10 miles.

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
Are you spinning an easy-ish gear during that period and what speed and terrain are you riding? Wouldn't have thought that should happen tbh.
it's the first couple of miles on the way out of town so i'm spinning a pretty easy gear. the roads are horrible until i'm out on to the outskirts and the bypass. maybe it's more to do with me not riding completely 'loose' as i'm using my legs as shock absorbers as much as turning the pedals?

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
. Lactate is a by product of this process and is dependent upon a lack of oxygen as such unless your warm up consists of sprinting flat out you will not be suffering from lactic acid build up of any kind.
that makes sense :thumbsup:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
So are you not sitting in the saddle but 'un-weightng' yourself and taking a fair proportion of your weight through your legs? This may help to explain the sore legs.

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
So are you not sitting in the saddle but 'un-weightng' yourself and taking a fair proportion of your weight through your legs? This may help to explain the sore legs.
yeh, i stay in the saddle as much as possible but to keep myself from crashing through the ruts with my entire weight on the bike, i'll stand and let my legs take much of the shock/vibration, they've patched a few areas on the road but it's pretty crap for the entire 2 miles...making more sense now :blush:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
At least five miles for me, probably a combination of age and a diet of long-distance cycling. Once the muscles are warmed up I'm fine.
A meal immediately before your ride will also have an effect.

Top Bottom