5 Years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
yup , 5 years this weekend since I started seriously commuting , or is that commuting seriously , on my bike when I started at the Olympic park , building the damn thing.

am I fitter- yes, am I lighter . hmmmmmm possibly not due to drinking a little bit too much in the week for a few months.

however I would not go back to tube commuting. heres to the next 5 years

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yep. Nowt wrong with beer. Keep cycling

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
About 5yrs here too. Began with my current employer in Dec 2009, started cycling to work in the following spring and built it up over about 12 months until I was doing every trip, 10 miles each way working 12hr nights. Probably the fittest of my life about 2yrs ago but have let it slip a bit now as family commitments have meant a reduction in the number of cycle commutes and my diet control has slipped a tiny bit. Will probably cycle 3000 miles this year instead of the 4000pa of the previous 2 yrs. Not all bad though because I had promised Lady Skol that I would halve it :whistle:

D

Deleted member 1258

Year 36 for me, came back to cycling about 1979, its been an interesting and varied journey, in just over 12 months the journey will be finished and I'll be retired.

U

User33236

I'm on year 4, I don't even own a car anymore
I love cycling that much! Do about 5000 miles a year now :biggrin:
Commuting by bike for 4 years now. Similar here in that, between commuting and leisure, I cycle more miles per annum than I drive. Even then the driving tends to be simply to take the bikes to further flung sportives.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Same here. Just noted that my bike is a 2010 Specialized Allez. In those 5 years I have:
Moved house, become a Dad and an Uncle, and started to go grey.

On the other hand:

I have lost 2 inches round my waste, 1.5 stone or more in weight, heart rate has dropped by about 15bpm, put my good and bad cholesterol into the acceptable bands and I have a new hobby. I'm fitter than I've ever been. I now realise that 150 miles is tough, but achievable for an average person, whereas before hand I wouldn't have thought that 50 was, and accompanied 2 people on their first ever 100 mile rides. I've done 50 mile commutes home in the evening, bought a second bike, and made some new friends. I've seen parts of Worcestershire that I would never have visited before, and I've inspired a 2 year-old to get out on his bike.

I've also been knocked off twice by a car (once was my fault) and had a few tumbles.

Ciar

Veteran
I remember you taking me for a guided tour of a potential commute about 2.5 years ago, wasn't long after i started on 3 days a week, then four and now moved up to five, reckon i owe you a beer for that one Subaqua :smile:

since then lost tons of weight and don't own a car either, so all in all one of the best things i have done.

Last edited:

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Year 36 for me, came back to cycling about 1979, its been an interesting and varied journey, in just over 12 months the journey will be finished and I'll be retired.

Hopefully you mean retired from work, not retired from cycling? With all that spare time you should be doing more cycling. :okay:

D

Deleted member 1258

Hopefully you mean retired from work, not retired from cycling? With all that spare time you should be doing more cycling. :okay:

Yes I'll be retired from work and a new journey will start, I'm even thinking about starting up training again, my pace has dropped alarmingly since I stopped, it might even be a bit more effective, no walking into the shed to train knackered after a busy shift.

Top Bottom