50 mile TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Is it worth doing one just to get a time down on paper ?
The distance isnt a problem but at race pace hmmmmm ive not tried that .As im new to TTing would having a time for a 50 benifit me ?

Sharky

Guru
Yes
They hurt, but in many ways easier than a 10. You ride at a slightly lower tempo and you get a bit in the middle for about 75 minutes, when you really enjoy the racing. The first 20 minutes is always hard, until you get into a rhythm and the last 20 minutes can be torture.

Need to ride a few 25's, but if you can finish these strongly, then a 50 will be no problem.

Good luck
Keith

PS these thoughts are from memory. Not ridden a 50 for a few years now, but is on my bucket list to do a few more.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My first and only 25 was cut down to 11 as the road was flooded . The next one is at the end of Aug i think but there is a 50 at the end of June .
I think i might try doing 50 on the TT bike first and see how that goes !

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm doing my first 50 in September, my first 25 in July and my first 15 next month.

Oh, and I did my first 10 last Sunday.

Let me know how you get on ... and suggestions please as well :okay:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I've done a couple of 25s and quite enjoyed them, in a zen, get into the rhythm and be in the moment type way.
I never fancied a longer one, a club mate suggested I have a go at a hundred but there was no way that was going to happen :laugh:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I've done a couple of 25s and quite enjoyed them, in a zen, get into the rhythm and be in the moment type way.
I never fancied a longer one, a club mate suggested I have a go at a hundred but there was no way that was going to happen :laugh:
Thats the way i was thinking of a 50. Get into a rythem and push when you tbink you can , then give it some welly for the last 10.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Thats the way i was thinking of a 50. Get into a rythem and push when you tbink you can , then give it some welly for the last 10.
For me, I could never gauge the 'slightly easier pace for a 25' and I used to ride the 25's at the same pace as my 10's. I reckon I could probably have gone harder on my 10's (even though it felt like I was turning myself inside out!). I doubt I could go longer time wise and it would bring in a whole new dimension of eating and drinking, but I guess that could make life even more interesting. It just wasn't for me. Respect to all those guys that can do it though. It's certainly a tough way to race.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Thats fast ! Ive just been on a 60 mile club run and the pace felt like a TT to me :eek: I checked the time at 50 and it was an hour on your time . It was a very hilly 60 though .

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
thanks.

finished with a time of 2 hours 14 mins 59 seconds (winner dipping under 2 hours by 30 seconds or so)
wasn't too bad, easier than doing 25mile TT x2 if that makes sense
I think they should become compulsory to all cycle chat members

What event and course was that? 1:59:xx is a pretty slow winning time...

Top Bottom