5000 Ft / 1524m monthly challenge.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I've no idea if there'll be an interest in this.

But I've always struggled to get the 100 mile challenge due to where I live in the hills.

I'm not the only one I know, so how about using this thread to log a 5000ft / 1524m rides with no min or max distance or timescales. The only rule being, it's one ride.

Where I live I can do this challenge in less than 50 miles.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Are we aimin at a "one a month" challenge? There was some discussion about this recently here https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-cyclechat-monthly-challenges.193890/

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've no idea if there'll be an interest in this.

But I've always struggled to get the 100 mile challenge due to where I live in the hills.

I'm not the only one I know, so how about using this thread to log a 5000ft / 1524m rides with no min or max distance or timescales. The only rule being, it's one ride.

Where I live I can do this challenge in less than 50 miles.

I reckon the shortest genuine loop ride around here I could do and achieve 5000ft is about 37 miles. But even I'm not that much of a masochist

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ok so we need some rules/guidelines. Are we restricted to logging just 1524m rides or are there going to be other targets like the half century thread? How do we measure (my vote is for an honesty system where we just declare whatever our chosen measure us) Do we have to post links? (my vote is no as I keep some of my rides private) can we retrospectively log rides ? (my vote is yes log rides going back to the first qualifying month if 2016) are we going to log in new posts like the MCaM or edit posts like the ICaM (I don't care)

Er ... That's all I can think of.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Erm, I have seen the other thread where it was suggested thanks for pointing that out. Rules, ok;

1. Logging can be used by any reasonable site such as RWGPS, BikeHike etc etc. It's only fair to be prepared to put any questionable rides thru a site suggested by the person calling you out.
2. One ride cannot count for two months, for example setting off at 23:00 and straddling midnight.
3. A detailed route description should suffice but I'd be willing to put up my rides links, I accept others prefer privacy.
4. To count towards 12 monthly tally the ride must be a minimum of 1524m / 5000ft.

That's all I can think of for now. We could just run this till the end of the year as a practice run. I've no objections to people putting up previous rides from the start of the year if they have them and I'm not sure if the mods are up for giving out 'stars' as they do in the 100 miler thread. If they are, then I'd like purple ones please.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I skipped March so I can only go back to April

Friday 8th April Bigfoot CC Hot X Buns Ride
Addington - Turners Hill - Ardingly - Ditchling Beacon - Brighton - Turners Hill - Gangers Hill - Addington. 163km 1,999m
RideWithGPS

Sunday 15 May Islington CC Audax "The Great Escape"

Old Street - Great Dunmow - Great Bardfield - Helions Bumpstead - Howlett End - Old St. 204km 1,681m
RideWithGPS

Sunday 6 Jun Ditchling Devil Audax
Wimbledon, Turner's Hill, Ditchling Beacon, Devil's Dyke, Coombe Lane, Richmond 201km 2,020m
RideWithGPS

Last edited:

SteveF

That's all I can think of for now. We could just run this till the end of the year as a practice run. I've no objections to people putting up previous rides from the start of the year if they have them and I'm not sure if the mods are up for giving out 'stars' as they do in the 100 miler thread. If they are, then I'd like purple ones please.

Shouldn't the stars be polka dotted..^_^

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Has this not taken off? I hadn't spotted it until now, and it seems like a good idea even though climbing hasn't usually been a priority for me this year.

I use an Edge 200 and the climbing figures produced by that setup are always on the low side. As is often pointed out, this is unimportant when tracking one's own progress. However, this challenge does involve a comparison with others, so I think it really needs standardisation.

I've just picked out a ride from earlier this year which was a bit hillier than most. The Strava activity shows 1111 metres; entering it as a route in RWGPS, which takes only a few minutes, gives 1533 metres, glory be. Anyone can do this free of charge whatever method they're using for recording rides, so could this be the standard?

Top Bottom