50th Birthday Challange

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crossy

I'm 50 next month and I've been looking for a challange. So far I've thought of 1 mph every hour every day of the year but the milage for that is silly distance for me at the moment it works out to 8760 miles. So I think that will be one for the future. The one I think I'm going for is 5050 miles as its a nice round number and ties in with my birthday. What do you think is it doable

avsd

Guru
That is about 100 mile every week. If you are a daily commuter roing 15-20 miles 4/5 times per week then you should be able to achieve that. If you don't commute on your bike that is an awful lot of extra miles to put in as training. Assume and average of 15 mph that is (5050/50) that is 6-7 hours in the saddle every week on top of your normal commitments. Best of luck with what ever challenge you do.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's doable, especially if you factor in a few longer rides during the year (see other entries in this board for longer rides).

PpPete

Legendary Member
I'm 50 next month and I've been looking for a challange. So far I've thought of 1 mph every hour every day of the year but the milage for that is silly distance for me at the moment it works out to 8760 miles. So I think that will be one for the future. The one I think I'm going for is 5050 miles as its a nice round number and ties in with my birthday. What do you think is it doable

If you can get to 5450 miles thats = 1 kilometre every hour every day of the year...
I'm 52, returned to cycling at age 50, no special effort, no commute and I've clocked about half that since I started logging my miles on MCL in March., I would say, depending on family commitments taking time, it is certainly doable.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
5,050 miles a year is definitely doable, even without commuting, but as avsd pointed out, you'd have to average 6 or 7 hours a week on the bike including the winter months and any time you are on holiday, ill, etc.

How about these '50' based targets (all speeds average, including time for stops)? Tick them off one by one on the way to your 5,050 miles:

50 km ride (31.1 miles)

• No time limit.
  • 4 hours (7.8 mph or 12.5 kph)
  • 3 hours (10.4 mph or 16.7 kph)
  • 2.5 hours (12.4 mph or 20 kph)
50 mile ride (80.5 km)

• No time limit.
  • 5 hours (10.0 mph or 16.1 kph)
  • 4 hours (12.5 mph or 20.1 kph)
  • 3 hours (16.7 mph or 26.8 kph)
100 km ride (2 x 50 km, 62.2 miles)

• No time limit.
  • 7 hours (8.9 mph or 14.3 kph)
  • 6 hours (10.4 mph or 16.7 kph)
  • 5 hours (12.4 mph or 20.0 kph)
  • 4 hours (15.6 mph or 25.0 kph)
  • 3.5 hours (17.8 mph or 28.6 kph)
100 mile ride (2 x 50 miles, 161 km)

• No time limit.
  • 8 hours (12.5 mph or 20.1 kph)
  • 7 hours (14.3 mph or 23.0 kph)
  • 6 hours (16.7 mph or 26.8 kph)
  • 5.5 hours (18.2 mph or 29.3 kph)
That should keep you going most of your 50th year! If you achieve all of those, have a go at a 200 km audax (4 x 50km fits in with the '50' theme). 

jimboalee

One can, as an AUK member, ride either a 50km Midlands Mesh or a 50 km DIY.

These don't count toward any Randonneur or Brevet Series Awards, but there is a medal and a cloth patch for them.
The cloth patch is a lovely pink colour :biggrin:

It would take a large display frame to hold 50 of the cloth patches. ;) I suppose you could make a quilt, or at least a pillow case.

More than one 50 km ride can be done on the same day.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I did LEJoG in five days a month before my 50th. Start training now and it should be a breeze.

Fiona N

Veteran
5,050 miles a year is definitely doable, even without commuting, but as avsd pointed out, you'd have to average 6 or 7 hours a week on the bike including the winter months and any time you are on holiday, ill, etc.

Is a touring holiday cheating or a training camp? Otherwise that's one good way to rack up some extra miles in what would otherwise be downtime. The camp I used to do in Mallorca would easily amount to 1000 miles over the two weeks with a middle rest day. A thirteen day tour could work out the same - so 20% of the miles in two weeks - you might have to increase the target :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is a touring holiday cheating or a training camp? Otherwise that's one good way to rack up some extra miles in what would otherwise be downtime. The camp I used to do in Mallorca  would easily amount to 1000 miles over the two weeks with a middle rest day. A thirteen day tour could work out the same - so 20% of the miles in two weeks - you might have to increase the target :biggrin:
Blimey, I really must try harder - on the camps I used to do on the Costa Blanca I typically did 700-750 miles in the 2 weeks! Mind you, I used to go in March with only 100 miles of cycling in my legs since the previous November, which didn't help...   :wacko:

Top Bottom