531 frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
I've used a couple of On One hubs (I presume they're ambrosio identikit copies). You're probably better off just getting the LBS to cold-set the rear end down to 120mm as you'll have far more choice.

Check http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Rear.html £15 - bargain. I've had one going for about 2 years now, good sealed bearings (although I do have some 'better' ones for when they eventually need replacing), and finish is very good quality with no sign of pitting etc. through two winters.

BTW, are you intending to do this on the cheap? If so I have some bits and bobs in the parts box that'll probably come in useful for you - just drop me a PM.

GrahamG

Guru
Forgot to mention - you will probably find that it's 120mm or 135mm (MTB width) from many places.

Just realised that on-one have mostly black left, here's a pair of Ambrosio high-flange hubs for £40 SJS Cycles

OP
OP
J

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Are the SJS ones any good? I was going to give them a ring to see if they do phone orders, but they were shut. The women on the phone message sounds very nice though.;)
As for the budget, well i havent got a huge amount to spend, but alot of people in the cycle club i am in are giving me some stuff they dont use and selling me bits they have spare cheaply.
A friend who does spray painting is going to spray paint it for me cheap aswell. On the front there is abit near where the front mech goes that sticks out. The only thing i can think it was for was a chain guard, but i'm not sure. Its on the bottom of the seat tube. Do i need it on there? Should i leave it on or just take it off.
Cheers

GrahamG

Guru
Joe24 said:
Are the SJS ones any good? I was going to give them a ring to see if they do phone orders, but they were shut. The women on the phone message sounds very nice though.;)
As for the budget, well i havent got a huge amount to spend, but alot of people in the cycle club i am in are giving me some stuff they dont use and selling me bits they have spare cheaply.
A friend who does spray painting is going to spray paint it for me cheap aswell. On the front there is abit near where the front mech goes that sticks out. The only thing i can think it was for was a chain guard, but i'm not sure. Its on the bottom of the seat tube. Do i need it on there? Should i leave it on or just take it off.
Cheers

Ambrosio hubs are very well regarded, almost in spite of their low price - you can't go wrong with them, they're pretty much standard issue on most of the off-the-shelf single speed/fixed wheel bikes although sometimes re-branded (like the on-ones). You can always upgrade the bearings later on which are a straightforward sealed 'drop in' cartridge.

As for the front mech bit - all I can see on the picture is the braze on for the front mech (many modern frames just use band-on mechs but not as a rule), is there something smaller lower down that I can't see? If you want a 'clean' look then by all means take a blow torch to it and take it off.

I'll respond to your PM directly about parts.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Hello,
i've been given some rear sprockets, two 22tooth ones( one in really good conditon the other needing a good clean) and a 12 tooth one, if i remember right. I also got a chainset. The bigger ring is a 44 tooth and the smaller one is something like 38 tooth. Would the 44 by 22 tooth be too small to start with? My area is a tad hilly, only a few short-ish steep hills.
Other thing is i cant get the smaller chain-ring off. Its an old french make, and the smaller chain ring has a different set of allen key bolts but i cant get them undone. Will a good spray with WD40 or something free them up or should i just leave the smaller chainring on?

Joe24 said:
Are the SJS ones any good?

Those SJS hubs look identical to the Joytech hubs I'm using (the same hubs that get sold under all kinds of brandnames).

They're not the lightest hubs in the world but for £36 a pair, they are excellent value.

Quality-wise they're certainly far, far better than the Deore hubs on my mountain bike (also about £35 a pair at SJS) and maybe even a little better than the American Classic hubs on my other road bike.

The bearings are super-smooth, which is always reassuring, and you can adjust the OLN distance using appropriate spacers.

f

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Thanks for that Feckless.
Going to take the frame in the bike shop and get them to check it out then probably buy the SJS ones.

Cheers.

Top Bottom