58.7% proof cask malt whisky anyone???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I received a belated christmas present t'other day.
A box of 5 different miniature malts.
What (slightly) worries me is they are all over 57% proof**
The supplier is ADRATTRAY.
They are all bourbon cask of various 'types' eg sherry Octave, Rioja Octave.
I am planning to try one this afternoon while watching footy on tv.
The "rule" I read was 40% = drop of water........43% = a few more drops. No idea what to do with these......suck it and see I think.
**years ago I had a sip of cheap, very strong whisky and it was awful.

Lozz360

Veteran
Just sip it slowly and enjoy. Are they Spanish whiskies by any chance? (Referring to “Sherry Octave” and “Rioja Octave”).

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just sip it slowly and enjoy. Are they Spanish whiskies by any chance? (Referring to “Sherry Octave” and “Rioja Octave”).
I don't think so as the labels all state "single malt scotch" and all are from the Pulteney distillery.
All 9 or 10 years.

winjim

Smash the cistern
That refers to the casks used for aging. Personally I would sip it and add water as I felt appropriate. Use your nose, your taste, the feel in your mouth and the finish, it's all part of it.

Use of units is breaking my brain though, there's no such thing as '% proof'...

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
That refers to the casks used for aging. Personally I would sip it and add water as I felt appropriate. Use your nose, your taste, the feel in your mouth and the finish, it's all part of it.

Got me checking that now.
They say "58.8 but tbh I can't read what follows.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I don't think so as the labels all state "single malt scotch" and all are from the Pulteney distillery.
All 9 or 10 years.

Common or garden Old Pultney 12 from the supermarket is pretty damned good so a set of their "special editions" is likely going to be a real treat.

As others have said if it's cask strength (57% or whatever) it will benefit from some water - normal whisky is 40 to 45. It's not merely watering it down - you can taste more.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Indeed - if it’s % then it’s ABV. If it is 58.7 proof then it’s not very strong at all.

Whisky is always watered down anyway; cask strength is something like 65% and water is added to give the final, bottled product. Hence no problem adding more to taste if you prefer it.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Cask strength in my experience started at 72proof. The original distillery I worked at started at about 120proof and was watered down to cask strength before filling.
Ex bourbon casks are often sherry treated ie some paxarette was poured into the cask and swirled about before emptying pre filling. Paxarette was just cheap sherry and the differences mentioned by the OP may be just different versions of that.
Overproof spirit caught fire when mixed with gunpowder and ignited. Underproof spirit did not. That was in use before proper instruments were invented.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Overproof spirit caught fire when mixed with gunpowder and ignited. Underproof spirit did not. That was in use before proper instruments were invented.
And this is supposedly the source of the phrase “navy strength” when referring to rum and gin. When a warship lived or died on its cannon working, a spillage of rum or gin in the hold could soak the gunpowder - navy strength liquor would still allow the powder to ignite, hence the cannon would still fire.

Top Bottom