6 years ago to this day, stay safe!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
6 years ago to this very day one of my best friends (she was really like family) was hit by a car whilst on her bike mid-morning (about 07:30 or 08:00 and flew a fair few metres through the air before finally landing in the road. she was on her way to school just like any other day but just this would be her last
to cut a long story short she ended up in a coma i believe and we lost her the following day, the 14th

what really makes things hit hard for me at least is that she was only 12 years old or so, about the same age as my self at the time.

for me the loss of a VERY close friend (as i said more like family) to a cycling accident makes me hyper careful and aware on the roads, whilst i'm bound to meet a car at some point in the rest of my life i do my utmost to prevent it.
Thought it might be worth sharing with you all to enforce how important it is to be careful out there on the roads, you need to ompensate for bad drivers because drivers don't always compensate for bad cycling
Cheers Ed

discominer

Jings Ed. Such a tragedy.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
and it wouldn't have happened if this thicko had been paying attention, fiddling with satnav or something at the traffic lights, didn't realise they had turned green looked up and thought oh shoot so moved away quicker than she should have with out looking
when i'm out on the roads driving tractors i have been tempted to get my phone out if only to check the time but i never have and never will, only takes a seconds thought about my dear friend to not do it. i will always pull over when it's safe to if i need to do anything with my phone, satnav, stuff that rigging strap that's digging into my side down behind the seat etc etc

there's 3 things i will NEVER do whilst driving regardless of if it's a tractor, van, lorry, truck, motorbike or push bike and they are:
drink and drive
speed
fiddle with things such as technology etc
Cheers Ed

Katherine

Guru
Stay safe yourself Ed. Treasure the memories of your friend.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Well said Ed. A wise head on young shoulders. A former work colleague of mine was knocked off his motorcycle and killed by a texting driver. I long for the day when using mobile devices at the wheel is treated as seriously as drink-driving.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
an today was the day we lost her, not fun
this was in Sweden in a city called Karlstad if any one recognises the name

that one accident took the life of my dear friend who now i think about it was only 10 or 11! and left an adult woman in a very serious condition who managed to 'get away with' being wheel chair bound for the rest of her life

as i say be careful out there all, i really don't want to log one day and hear that one of us have gone!
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Well said Ed. A wise head on young shoulders. A former work colleague of mine was knocked off his motorcycle and killed by a texting driver. I long for the day when using mobile devices at the wheel is treated as seriously as drink-driving.
i long for the day that both are tightened right up! to the point that it's an automatic ban for so long if drink driving or using mobile devices at the wheel/drinking (even tea)/eating etc
i'm also in favor of the drink driving limit being lowered and IMO speed limits wouldn't harm to be a bit lower in some places (although i doubt that will change in a big way any time soon)

all too often do i see people playing with satnavs/phones etc at the wheel, sends a shiver down my spine for sure! and as for drink driving, i doubt i will ever drive to the pub (not that i'll go to the pub often) and if i ever do drive i'll give my keys to the land lord till the following day

as for speeding, hard in a 30-50 year old land rover but i won't ever try!
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom