60,000 miles standard manufacturer's warranty, after only 44,000 miles in nearly 20 years question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Technical specifications​

Vehicle summary​

Body styleHatchback
Engine size1984 cc
Fuel typePetrol
Number of doors3
Number of seats4
Gearbox typeAuto 4Spd
CO2 emissions228 g/km
Insurance groupNo details available
Standard manufacturer's warranty (miles)60000 miles
Standard manufacturer's warranty (years)3 years
Standard paintwork guaranteeNo details available

https://www.britanniacarsales.co.uk...auto-euro-4-3dr-oswaldtwistle-202311093788499

I saw this when looking at the website of the place I tend to buy my cheap and cheerful cars from. Not that I want it or like it, but I see it's only done 44,000 miles in nearly 20 years. I just wondered if something serious costing happened to this old car would VW honour that 60,000 miles warranty, seeing as the car's only done 44,000 miles? 🤔

Last edited:

potsy

Rambler
No.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Low mileage cars suffer with loads of problems far better to have something 'high mileage' that has been caned up and down motorways but been serviced regularly

When I worked as a mechanic we had a customer who was a sales rep for an international company who instead of using rental cars had his own SAAB 99EMS* and that did around 30,000 miles a year mainly on Autobahns or French/Belgian motorways. We used to see it about twice a year for servicing (the rest of the time it would be serviced on the Continent) The mechanics used to almost come to blows as to who got to work on it and more importantly who got to road test it after. It went like stink, easily the fastest car that we ever saw until the Turbo came out

EMS was the fuel injected Electronic Manual Sport

johnnyb47

Guru
Very true words indeed @raleighnut .
When I bought my car over a decade ago I thought low mileage=less problems.
The car I bought was a one owner from new and they had it for 10 years and only covered 1000 to 1500 miles a year.
It may of looked immaculate but after I started using it frequently I got all sort of problems.The various bushes needed replacing due to them drying,The springs needed replacing after snapping and in retrospect it felt very flat as if the engine was coked up..I put all this down to the car just sitting on their driveway not turning a wheel for weeks on end, and the short journeys it made ,never really getting to full working temp.
After some perseverance it's been absolutely reliable since and I've racked up some decent miles in it ever since.

I'm a low mileage driver. I've had a Cruze station wagen almost 10 years from new and done nothing to it and about 19,000 miles. I'm just about to change a couple tyres for the first time and its had its normal services etc. It's a simple car though, petrol, manual, non-turbo. It's a very simple car really. Never had a single fault or repair. It's been much abused too.

Emanresu

Possibly or possibly not. Latent defects are .... latent. Bathtub curve and all that.

Changing the subject though, it is an interesting car in that it must be one of the very, very last ones as they stopped production in 2003. And this was registered in late 2004. So sitting around for a while.

Might be a classic or might not even get there.

Top Bottom