60's Bianchi ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

D0721

The knowledge on this Forum is very impressive and I'm hoping to learn the year of this Bianchi. The serial number (2D66632) is stamped on the head tube. It was in the back of a shed here in AZ and is rust free (pure guess 1962 or 66??) Hoping for good news.
Thank you for looking!

Attachments

• Bianchi a.jpg
    Bianchi a.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 36
  • Bianchi b.jpg
    Bianchi b.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Bianchi c.jpg
    Bianchi c.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Bianchi d.jpg
    Bianchi d.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 30
  • Bianchi e.jpg
    Bianchi e.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Bianchi f.jpg
    Bianchi f.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Bianchi g.jpg
    Bianchi g.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 34

Gunk

Guru
Looking just at the components I think you are probably right, early to mid 1960’s, are you going to restore it?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I did read that the first digit is the year of manufactur so it could be a ‘62. The components would seem to support that as Gunk says.
Its not a high end frame and it’s been repainted at some point but nice nonetheless. Well worth restoring, perhaps research a paint scheme appropriate to the period? Have you other vintage bikes or did you just come across this one?

:welcome: to the forum.

OP
OP
D

D0721

Looking just at the components I think you are probably right, early to mid 1960’s, are you going to restore it?
Yes, I'm hoping to restore this bike but parts availability and cost will help me decide. Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
D

D0721

I did read that the first digit is the year of manufactur so it could be a ‘62. The components would seem to support that as Gunk says.
Its not a high end frame and it’s been repainted at some point but nice nonetheless. Well worth restoring, perhaps research a paint scheme appropriate to the period? Have you other vintage bikes or did you just come across this one?

:welcome: to the forum.
No, I just came across this one. I haven't owned an Italian bike before and nothing older than mid 70's so this should be interesting. Thank you for your input!

Thanks @BalkanExpress , I'm going to go for a 1972 Rekord Strada. The funky cottered crankset and centrepull brakes are a good indicator. Whilst the pedals and big silver dinnerplate chainguard look odd on a Bianchi, they were original equipment. I guess the former worked with platform shoes and the latter helped prevent your flares and loon pants fouling the chainrings!

Here's a link to a thread with good images of the same frame, showing the lugs and eyes, which also match the OP, and a scan from the 1973 catalogue below.

It's not a classic lightweight, but it's a good, solid Bianchi and definitely worthy of some love and attention!

1600199755158.png

OP
OP
D

D0721

Thanks @BalkanExpress , I'm going to go for a 1972 Rekord Strada. The funky cottered crankset and centrepull brakes are a good indicator. Whilst the pedals and big silver dinnerplate chainguard look odd on a Bianchi, they were original equipment. I guess the former worked with platform shoes and the latter helped prevent your flares and loon pants fouling the chainrings!

Here's a link to a thread with good images of the same frame, showing the lugs and eyes, which also match the OP, and a scan from the 1973 catalogue below.

It's not a classic lightweight, but it's a good, solid Bianchi and definitely worthy of some love and attention!

View attachment 547398
That is Amazing! This photo is spot on. Thank you very much for identifying this for me!

Top Bottom