6'3" 18 stone £300ish budget wheel buckler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spud_hammer

hello everyone,

Stupid novices question time I have always ridden ratted bikes I've built out of 90's mountain bikes and put road tyres on, but now I want a nice new one,

What always fails on me is the back wheels, either bearings hubs spokes or rims

what types or brands of cycle are more robust?

Very light off road and normal pooteling comfort is king big saddle that type of caper but don't get on with suspension

Even vauge ideas of genre of bike or where to start looking would help.

Sorry for the stream of conciousness

Thanks!

OP
OP
Spud_hammer

Spud_hammer

Also are disc brakes any good

vickster

Legendary Member
Get better wheels, most stock wheels are poor, especially at the budget end

Halfords carrera subway range are solid bikes

Disc brakes are good in wet weather in traffic, but they add weight and cheap ones will need some maintenance

OP
OP
Spud_hammer

Spud_hammer

Get better wheels, most stock wheels are poor, especially at the budget end

Halfords carrera subway range are solid bikes

Disc brakes are good in wet weather in traffic, but they add weight and cheap ones will need some maintenance
Thanks! I'll go up there see if they'll let me ride one.

Joffey

Big Dosser
When I started riding i was a little heavier than you but managed about 1000 miles on a Carerra Virtuoso Ltd with no problems. Cost me £160 second hand. Was a great bike for the money and old got rid as I upgraded - I sold it on for £150! £10 for a year of trouble free cycling ^_^

BigCoops

A few years ago at my heaviest I was a few pounds over 20 stone.

Commuted to work daily on a bottom of the range Specialized Sirrus.

Again, no issues with wheels, best advice I can give you, which others will possibly disagree with, is don't go mashing gears everywhere, torque is the enemy and given your weight, you'll probably be able to provide a lot of it.

In my experience (and it holds true now at 4 stone lighter) it's far better to spin in a lower gear at a higher cadence when tackling any sort of gradient. That way you shouldn't be over stressing or flexing anything and killing freehubs (my favourite trick) etc.

Apart from to that, higher spoke count wheels are a good bet, I'd support the Subway recommendation given your budget.

Enjoy! :smile:

OP
OP
Spud_hammer

Spud_hammer

The bikes in my sig...
A few years ago at my heaviest I was a few pounds over 20 stone.

Commuted to work daily on a bottom of the range Specialized Sirrus.

Again, no issues with wheels, best advice I can give you, which others will possibly disagree with, is don't go mashing gears everywhere, torque is the enemy and given your weight, you'll probably be able to provide a lot of it.

In my experience (and it holds true now at 4 stone lighter) it's far better to spin in a lower gear at a higher cadence when tackling any sort of gradient. That way you shouldn't be over stressing or flexing anything and killing freehubs (my favourite trick) etc.

Apart from to that, higher spoke count wheels are a good bet, I'd support the Subway recommendation given your budget.

Enjoy! :smile:
That's really helpful thanks, I went to ride a subway but it didn't suit my riding style so went for a Miriam and that let me sit more upright and suited having racks and guards on it. I think I got a good one,

Thanks so much to everyone that was helpful. You're cool guys and can marry my sister anytime

ste.pearson

Formerly known as stevieP
Iv'e had a subway for the past 5 years and it's had some hammer great budget bike, i'am over 18 stone and iv'e had no problems with it at all

samshep

I've had a subway for three years and I've gone through about four or five rear wheels - usually the hub and it being a lot cheaper to get a new wheel. However, reading the comment above about gear mashing and torque, combined with being in the larger/heavier category and more than occasionally irresponsible on lumps and kerbs, and I realise why I can feel my current wheel on the way out again.

Apart from that it's been a great bike, and I've enjoyed riding it.I am considering buying the new version (27.5 wheels & hydraulic disc brakes compared to my current one which has 26in wheels & mechanical discs).

mythste

Veteran
That's really helpful thanks, I went to ride a subway but it didn't suit my riding style so went for a Miriam and that let me sit more upright and suited having racks and guards on it. I think I got a good one,

Thanks so much to everyone that was helpful. You're cool guys and can marry my sister anytime

Pics of sister plz.

Top Bottom