630 Bikes & a Light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey guys and gals, I am in the market for a new bike to essentially replace the need to use motor vehicles while running errands, etc. and to achieve some exercise in the process. Granted, I haven't owned a bike since I was a kid! I stopped riding only because my dear and beloved Great Aunt and Uncle bought me an adult-sized 10-speed for a scrawny 11 year old. It was so tall and imposing, and I'd have been so high up off the ground that I was terrified to use it!

Over the years, my health has declined, and I want to regain it since I plan to return to college and pursue my master's degree in vocal pedagogy (after all, my body is my instrument). So, I'll be using my bike to commute back and forth from my apartment to college. But, I digress... I have my heart set on a 7-speed beach cruiser from SixThreeZero. So, I was wondering what your thoughts are on this company? Also, I was hoping someone could recommend a headlight that I could attach to it that wouldn't ruin the country/ beach/ vintage aesthetic.

Thanks!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

were mostly Brits on here but we do have quite a few US members who might like to comment on your question. No idea about this company but I imagine the bikes are made in the Far East like other similar makers.
How long will your commute be? You should be okay with this style of bike as long as it’s not too far. It will certainly give you a work out. A hybrid might be better depending on your commute.
A link to the particular bike would be useful.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm not familiar with that particular bike but as a general observation I would say if you want to commute from A to B on a bike as a means of transport, rather than just riding for the sake of riding, then choose something that does not look too enticing to thieves and will cover the ground in a reasonably efficient manner without having to expend too much energy. That adult sized 10-speed you didn't fancy riding as a kid would probably do a lot better job of getting you about than a beach cruiser bike.

OP
OP
B
That adult sized 10-speed you didn't fancy riding as a kid would probably do a lot better job of getting you about than a beach cruiser bike.

Something that I thoroughly disliked about that bike (and I still do, now!) were the dropped handlebars because they made me feel like I was falling, rather than sitting upright.

OP
OP
B
Here's a link to the bike I am eying: https://sixthreezero.com/collection...-7-speed-beach-cruiser-bicycle-with-rear-rack

I have seen folks driving beach-cruiser bikes during the annual and world-famous RAGBRAI "race" (which isn't a race) here in Iowa, which one must bike at least 50 miles per day. For those that don't know, during RAGBRAI, one must travel from one side of Iowa to the other until they dip their tires into the Mississippi River since out state is bordered soon either side by the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I wouldn’t want to ride it very far but I’m sure it will suit you for short journeys. It’s going to be quite heavy but that won’t worry you too much unless
you’re tackling hills. The tyres will be comfortable enough but you won’t be able to get much speed up and puncture resistance will be poor, but that’s par for the course for OE tyres on a three hundred dollar bike. Swap them out for some Schwalbe Land cruisers as soon as you can.
its quite amusing as they talk about comfortable riding position and show the saddle far too low which would give you knee pain after a while.
If you can I’d recommend a test ride.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It looks OK for running about on and the low end Shimano gearing will at least work OK, so long as it's correctly set. Really it's like an old rigid 26" MTB, but lacking the low gears for climbing. The tyres are in all probability pretty cheap and unlikely to be very free rolling or very puncture resistant. I would be planning on fitting some 26" x 2" Schwalbe Marathons if I was using such a bike for transport.
The sizing looks a bit limited though for the larger rider, short top tube and the max saddle height is not huge if the rider has long legs. You'd better do your homework and ensure it will adjust sufficiently to give a good fit. The riding position is very upright even by flat bar bike standards. Headwinds will not be fun riding into, they will be hard going.
That is where a drop bar bike is at an advantage. I have my drop bars set as high as the stem will allow, but even so, it's still better riding into the wind because the bars are narrower so you present less frontal area. Wide high bars that give you a riding stance like an ape can make a ride hard going in adverse conditions.

We're mostly based in the UK here. :hello:

If you're looking for a do-it-all bike that takes racks, guards, luggage etc, then a hybrid with a rigid fork is probably a far better bet than that cruiser. It's going to be lighter for one. Something that's too heavy, too clunky and doesn't have the right gearing is, if you pardon the pun, something of a drag. And when that's the case, cycling becomes a chore rather than a pleasure, and said bike gets relegated to the shed to gather cobwebs.

At your budget, there are probably far more suitable bikes out there for the kind of cycling you want to do. Looks and style aren't everything. Surely there should be something out there that works for you without breaking the bank.

If you were in the UK, something like the Carrera Subway 2 or a Pinnacle from Evans would likely fit the bill.

Top Bottom