635mm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
GlasgowCyclist linked to the excellent article by Martin Porter in the fevered court case thread.

https://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/the-alliston-mis-trial.html?m=1

It made reference to the 635 mm seat height The Pedal Cycle (Construction and Use) Regulations 1983 at the seventh section.

I assume there is an assumption that this means kids are allowed to brake with their brand new Clark's shoes (I should never have let her wear them to nursery).

Is that basically the logic? Presumably there were recumbent bikes in 1983?

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
Yes my BMX bike, with its token saddle, is exempt

If it was a mm too high, would angling it downwards solve that?

If so... would a very long saddle extension, poking out in front and drooping towards the ground comply?

Drago

Legendary Member
That blog misses the obvious - even with a functioning brake he may not have been able to stop in time (although he claims he had sufficient time to shout a warning, can't have it both ways), but even a decent reduction in velocity might have been sufficient to either give one time to avoid the other, or to reduce the kinetic energy imparted during the impact.

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
That blog misses the obvious - even with a functioning brake he may not have been able to stop in time (although he claims he had sufficient time to shout a warning, can't have it both ways), but even a decent reduction in velocity might have been sufficient to either give one time to avoid the other, or to reduce the kinetic energy imparted during the impact.
Maybe it was too obvious? I don't know.
I thought it was well written. I would have written something more rambling and boring at least.

Top Bottom