650 or 700 wheels for a smaller lady?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goody

Veteran
A friend has asked for my advice for a new road bike she is 5'1" tall and using one of the online bike fit calculators needs a frame with a top tube length of about 50cm which is an XS or XXS frame size in some women specific road bikes. She likes the Cannondale Synapse Carbon and could try one for size at an Evans store, this would come with 700c wheels and I'm guessing compromised geometry because of the larger wheels on such a small frame.
Canyon are doing womens road bikes with 650b wheels on the frame size that would suit her but it will cost a bit more and no test ride. If you're of a similiar size is the 650b a better option or are there any alternatives to the canyon available? TIA.

Last edited:
Go for the bigger wheels. The 650s are non-standard and everything is harder to come by. By that I mean spokes, tubes, tyres, replacement rims etc etc. Unless you are really, which she isn't.
Cannondale knows how to make frames and the frame will be just fine.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My son has a 650c Triban bike, he is about 5'2". My motivation for buying it was it was £150 brand new and will fit him for a coupe of years and his sister afterwards. He has to carry his own inner tubes which is a bit of a faff as mine wouldn't fit and the wheel and tyre upgrade/repair options are limited. If an xs 700c bike had been at the same price I would have gone with that.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I should probably add mudguards are very difficult to source other than extra wide mtb ones. So bodging is likely to be the order of the day.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Two of my friends, both experienced road-cyclists, have gone the 650c route. Both are around 5'.

Last edited:
OP
OP
goody

goody

Veteran
Mudguards and saddle bags aren't a consideration. the main thing is that the bike feels right, she's tried a road bike before and didn't like it felt wobbly and stretched out too much so trying a bike that was too big for her put her off road bikes. There's only 18mm difference in the radius of 650b and 700c wheels (i think) is that going to make much of a difference? The 650b bike is around £550 more but has ultegra and discs rather than 105 and rim brakes. Thanks for the input so far I'll show her the thread tonight.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
What bikes?

Bespoke, I think.

wanda2010

Guru
1'm 4'11 and have 3 bikes with 650c wheels and an Isla bike, Luath small, which has 700c wheels that I couldn't get on with so will eventually stop being lazy and sell it. With the exception of my Trek all the other bikes are marketed as childrens' bikes.

Top tube length is the main consideration for me cos short arms. Toe overlap I adjusted to, but it was a relief to discover, after a bike fit, what I should aim for so kids bikes with 650c wheels work for me. I still have to make adjustments in terms of short(er) stems, narrower handlebars, shorter cranks and, maybe spinnier, chainrings.

Custom bikes would be the ideal, but in the interim the above makes cycling enjoyable.

Re tyres: 23s are the standard, but I've managed to find two shops (but in the US) that sell tyres in 28s.

Last edited:

wanda2010

Guru
Another short lady (4'11") - ride with 650c wheels on my Wiggo roadie. Halfords stock the 23mm 650c tyres wherever they hold the Wiggins range and Decathlon do the inner tubes at £1.99 a pop, so spares not a problem.

Bottom line is to get a bike that fits first and worry about the rest later :okay:

:hello: Hi! Still loving my Wiggo 26" and it's going On Tour in July............ unless the new tyres arrive and I decide to use one of the other bikes instead :wacko::rolleyes:

:hello: Hi! Still loving my Wiggo 26" and it's going On Tour in July............ unless the new tyres arrive and I decide to use one of the other bikes instead :wacko::rolleyes:

Ooo, hey! :hello: Neat, was wondering recently how you were getting on with it... So glad it's ticked the boxes for you :smile:

I'm having such fun with my roadie. :bicycle: I did swap the saddle for something more comfy though as I swear the original was made by torquemada...

Top Bottom