650 wheels !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
what else can you use instead of 650 wheels for an ex sprint time trial frame that has taken my eye . somebody has said modern 26" narrow mtb rims with slick tyres should fit ok ..

26" MTB rims will be 12mm smaller in diameter (6mm in radius) than 650c, so you will need to check that whatever calipers you are using will be able to reach the smaller rim size. 650c wheels are still readily available, so why not use them..?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
thanks for that they just seem hard to find , will have to look harder

Agreed. The amount of investment and research into 26" wheels does make light (let alone strong) wheels easy to find. A 6mm difference in brake reach can be dealt with by long drop calipers if the existing are unsuitable. However I am not sure what you want the bike for, but in case you are unaware tyres under 1.25" wide for 26" wheels are like hens teeth. I am also unsure if any exist to take over 100psi. If you want to run narrow high pressure tyres you should stick with 650c for that frame.

tyred

Legendary Member
I would go with 26 x 1 3/8" (650A). Alloy rims are now easily available in this size, there are some decentish tyres out there (although of the touring rather than lightweight racing variety) and they roll so much better than 559.

Top Bottom