7 and 8 Speed freehubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
7 speed is shorter and will most likely use the 12T or 13T as the 'locking sprocket' 8-10 speed are all the same size.

Ignore 8 speed Uniglide, that uses a locking sprocket - Shimano 600/Dura Ace 7400 from late 80's, early 90's.

I know my 7 speed freehub used 130mm spacing as I was able to upgrade.

Not sure of exact size though.

7 speed is shorter and will most likely use the 12T or 13T as the 'locking sprocket' 8-10 speed are all the same size.

Ignore 8 speed Uniglide, that uses a locking sprocket - Shimano 600/Dura Ace 7400 from late 80's, early 90's.

I know my 7 speed freehub used 130mm spacing as I was able to upgrade.

Not sure of exact size though.

20221011_145504.jpg

I'm guessing this is the "Locking sprocket", am I right?

I'll have to figure out the "inside" and "outside" sprockets too; This is the problem; everything was thrown in a big box and now I have to figure what belongs where.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm guessing this is the "Locking sprocket", am I right?
Not sure on that one - I think some of them use the smallest sprocket as a screw-in lockring, rather than using a dedicted item. What you have pictured are the drive interfaces between the freehub body and the hub-proper; which seem to vary with hub model.

As for dims, I think the 7 speed was the crossover point between freewheels and freehubs, and has a shorter freehub body than the later 8/9/10 sp; which in turn has a slightly shorter body than the 11 speed.

Sheldon Brown's site's usually good for this sort of thing, while I found some listings for freehubs on ebay that contain dims when I was looking for one for the Fuji.. so it might be worth taking a look there too ;)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just out of interest I just fitted an 8s cassette onto my direct drive turbo*. Previously this had an 11S cassette on it.

It needed a spacer. Otherwise it was still loose when the lockring was tightened. It probably needed a specific spacer but I only have one spacer knocking around and that seemed to do the trick and all was well.

I just mention this because I was really dubious about whether the 8S cassette would fit on the freehub OK. And I see threads like this showing the multiplicity of freehubs that exist. But it seems to work OK.:wacko:

* Because I want to use a bike that has 8S gears as a turbo bike.

Last edited:
My bike was a 7 speed freewheel, changed to a 7 speed cassette - I needed a spacer since the only available hubs were for 8 speeds and up.
And due to limited choice and a need to climb hills the last two cassettes have been 8 speeds (although I only get to use 7 sprockets) and to confuse matters more the first cassette used the spacer, the second didn't ^_^

If I was in Andy's shoes I'd be playing with all those hubs figuring out how they work. I'd get nothing constructive done! ^_^

Top Bottom