7 speed shifter problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all. A few weeks a go I installed new combined shifers and brake levers to my hybrid and I was wondering if I have installed the rear shifter wrongly or something as the shifter reads in reverse ie; bottom gear is 7 and top gear is 1 which is a bit disconcerting. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreactiated. HG.

Edit. Would this mean I need a new rear mech.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Pound to a penny you've got a reverse-action rear mech, or you used to have and now you haven't!

02GF74

Über Member
what make is the shifter? never come across one that works in reverse. usually the bigger lever you push which pulls on the cable; you can shift up to oir 3 gears at a time - the smaller button you press and it releases cable according to a ratchet i.e. one gear at a time.

what make/modle is the rear? all but shimano XTR. whcih are available in reverse action - work as the cable is pulled, it moves up to put the chain on a bigger sprocket.

the reverse shifting is supposed to be more reliable - I;ve never used it but as I have >1 bike, I couldn;t deal with the reverse action.

No Garrilla other way round what should be 1st gear is labeled 7 and pushing the thumb lever under the handlebar moves it down to 1 but the gears change in the correct order from large to small sprockets. I will try and get some photos posted at the weekend which might help explain things.

Top Bottom