7 year old boys bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
As the title suggests, any tips for reasonably cheap reasonably lightweight boys bike, probably MTB styley?
Some of the ones suitable for his age are coming in at over 17kg, for a small bike that's a lot of weight for a little kid to muscle around! Cheers.

Citius

Islabike Beinn 24

MikeW-71

Veteran
Islabikes and Frog, though they will cost a bit more. Otherwise, Specialized Hotrock, Giant XTCJr are popular, Cube also have a kids range now. My nephew has a Spesh and is getting on great with it. It is 6 speed and has the usual rubbish suspension fork, but it doesn't weigh a ton.

Suddenly there are loads out there, all at around the same price

I see a few Islabikes and Frogs doing Bikeability, both makes are great IMO, light, well made and thoughtfully specced out. Not cheap but I'd say good value in the long term, especially if they can be handed on to a younger sibling.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Islabikes are simply awesome, they are superb bikes and although initially seem expensive you should be able to recoup at least 2/3 of the cost when he outgrows it and you sell it on (assuming it's looked after reasonably well).

Frog bikes also seem to get good reviews, as do the Ridgeback mx20 and mx24.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Ridgeback mx24. Well put together, got my lad a used one couple of years back off ebay, will go to my daughter next.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Thanks for the replies, yes lots of quality bikes about to counter all the cheaper steelies (which in most cases are not actually cheap - £100+ for not a lot)

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Update-
Finally bought this in the end
image.jpg

Dawes Redtail, around £160, alloy frame, shimano gears etc. just put it together, seems well built and good quality, comes in at 12.2kg fully built, so not the lightest and more than the stated "11kg" that I was led to believe, but considerably better than some "cheapies". Just hopes he likes it :birthday:

Last edited:
Top Bottom