700c actual fitted sizes + suggestions 🤔

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I’ve just bought a workhorse / commuter for the coming year. That’s come with 700c wheels…..

Rims measure an actual 23mm wide. And the Vittoria Zaffino 28c tyres it’s come with - measure right on spec at 28mm wide at the widest point.

I’d like slightly wider, more all year round / light gravel / tow-path suited tyres. I have plenty of clearance at the back. Brakes look ok for going wider; and inside of forks measures right around 38mm clearance at tyre level.

So it looks like a 30c is very doable without pushing it 😎

I guess my questions are:

1/: Will all branded manufacturers; at 30c come up at 30mm wide on my 23mm rims ? ****Or are some known to come up narrow / wide accordingly?

2/: Suggestions for a sensibly priced, puncture friendly, general purpose, generally dry-use tyre with semi aggressive tread (Something like below tread wise as an example)…..

Thanks in advance 🙏

Attachments

• FD88FA47-36A6-4EDE-9EFD-B767F14CA5CA.jpeg
    FD88FA47-36A6-4EDE-9EFD-B767F14CA5CA.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1

geocycle

Legendary Member
Would be useful to know as they don’t all measure the same. For example a 28 mm Schwalbe Pro One fits under my mudguard whereas a 28 mm Schwalbe One doesn’t on the same rim…

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Would be useful to know as they don’t all measure the same. For example a 28 mm Schwalbe Pro One fits under my mudguard whereas a 28 mm Schwalbe One doesn’t on the same rim…

My point entirely ! I THINK I could squeeze a 32mm in - without huge issue. But an untrue wheel / tyre, mud build up, road-debris etc would possibly them cause rub. Especially if that supposed 32c came up slightly large as you say…..

I’m erring on the side of caution with aiming for a 30c. I think 🤣

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The Randonneur has been my tyre of choice for some time, not quite as hard wearing as they were but excellent puncture resistance and sounds like the 32mm size is just what you are looking for. Don't throw them away when the red layer starts to show, still at least another 1000 miles of life to go.

I have to question your description of semi-aggressive though, IMO they are best described as semi-slick with the continuous centre band and grooves to the sides rather than knobbles or tread.

Top Bottom