700c Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyre Too Big For 700c Hybrid Wheel???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
Bought a Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x38c tyre yesterday from the LBS and it is too big for the wheel (too large in diameter)?

With the tyre bead set in the rim, there is a good inch and a half of excess baggage. It would easily fit a 29" wheel.

The tyre also seems too fat for a 38c. I'm directly replacing a set of 700x40c Vee Speedster tyres which came with my Voodoo Marasa which are much slimmer than the Marathons.

The Vee Speedsters are marked 700x40c and the rim is the exact same diameter as my 700c road bike wheels (the Marasa wheel is definitely a 700c)

Has anyone ever heard of tyres being marked up incorrectly in the factory?

Or, is it possible that the tyre has somehow stretched between the factory and the shop?

1633241185396.png

Last edited:

Punkawallah

Über Member
Check the wheel size? The Sheldon Brown site shows you how to measure the size of the rim. If it measures up, take both to the shop and ask for a replacement. Then you could ‘offer it up’ on site and make sure it’s a fit. Good luck!

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Check the wheel size? The Sheldon Brown site shows you how to measure the size of the rim. If it measures up, take both to the shop and ask for a replacement. Then you could ‘offer it up’ on site and make sure it’s a fit. Good luck!
Solved.

Just checked the label on the tyre and it is marked 700x38B which according to the table below, is not the same as a 700c

1633243904139.png

Now I have to traipse off to Halfords to buy a new tyre because the LBS is shut on Sundays.

Bugger.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Recommend you have a cup of coffee before posting such an OP: before 6am!!
I was going to slap on the tyre this morning and go for a ride so I was up a 5.30.

I'd actually asked for a 700x38c tyre and that is what is on the receipt so I expected it to be a five minute job. I also bought a pair of 700c tubes at the same time to fit. I can only assume that the guy at the counter grabbed the wrong tyre?

I've now got the correct tyre and it's on the bike and I've just done five local miles on it.

Last edited:

sasquath

With the tyre bead set in the rim, there is a good inch and a half of excess baggage. It would easily fit a 29" wheel.
I know you solved your problem but just FYI 29" wheels have same rim diameter of 622mm as 28" and 700c wheels, to make it even more confusing 27" wheels have bigger diameter of 630mm.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I know you solved your problem but just FYI 29" wheels have same rim diameter of 622mm as 28" and 700c wheels, to make it even more confusing 27" wheels have bigger diameter of 630mm.
Yes. I didn't realise how bloody confusing wheel sizes were until I read an article on it this morning.

I've downloaded a copy of the sizing table for future reference.

Top Bottom