700c wheel choice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking to upgrade the wheels on my 2010 Trek 1.2a.
This is basically a good quality road frame kitted out with "lower spec" transmission/wheels compared
to the trek 1.5.

Wheels currently are factory fitted bontragers running gatorskin tyres.
Front: 1.34kg
Rear: 1.84kg (Including 9 speed cassette).

Assuming these wheels are out of Treks "cheap parts bin" what rims could i upgrade to?

Budget £100-£150 (and my weight is 90kgs)

Looking to upgrade the wheels on my 2010 Trek 1.2a.
This is basically a good quality road frame kitted out with "lower spec" transmission/wheels compared
to the trek 1.5.

Wheels currently are factory fitted bontragers running gatorskin tyres.
Front: 1.34kg
Rear: 1.84kg (Including 9 speed cassette).

Assuming these wheels are out of Treks "cheap parts bin" what rims could i upgrade to?

Budget £100-£150 (and my weight is 90kgs)

Wouldnt have a clue. I would be interested in an answer to this also as I wanna upgrade from alex rims.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I thought the Bontrangers were meant to be ok, as stock wheels go...?

It may be helpful if you weighed the wheels without cassette, tyres and tubes for a starting point to compare stuff too. In the price range you have mentioned, I would be looking at Mavic Aksiums or possibly one of the Shimano offerings (see Merlin cycles) in that price range.

No doubt somebody who knows much more about wheels will soon be along to advise better. Maybe PpPete or accountantpete or anybody else by the name Pete, for that matter!

festival

Über Member
If you only have £150 max to spend I wouldn't bother.
Save up another £150 and you may pick up a bargain at wiggle, chain reaction etc, something such as mavic ksyirum equipe.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
For your budget you wont really feel much difference, I also wouldnt do it. Maybe spend £50 on decent tryes (Pro 4 endurance, or pro 4 service course from ribble) and keep the £100 in the pot and keep saving.

In terms of value, these seem about the best bet... http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sh...road-wheels/fulcrum-racing-5-wheels-2013.html

But I would save a little more and get these... http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sh...-wheels/mavic-ksyrium-equipe-wheels-2012.html

And dream of these (I got em, great for heavier riders)... http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sh...oad-wheels/mavic-ksyrium-elite-2012-pair.html

PpPete

Legendary Member
I thought the Bontrangers were meant to be ok, as stock wheels go...?

It may be helpful if you weighed the wheels without cassette, tyres and tubes for a starting point to compare stuff too. In the price range you have mentioned, I would be looking at Mavic Aksiums or possibly one of the Shimano offerings (see Merlin cycles) in that price range.

No doubt somebody who knows much more about wheels will soon be along to advise better. Maybe PpPete or accountantpete or anybody else by the name Pete, for that matter!

:stop:
Don't listen to me about wheels.... I always recommend handbuilts, but to get something that's going to be a significant upgrade you'd need to up your budget a good bit as the Bonti wheels are pretty good according to one LBS I trust.... certainly better than low end Spesh wheels which are very inconsistent IME.

but as a left-field suggestion (if you really really want to go for a low spoke count - like the Aksiums & Krylions mentioned above - triumph of fashion over substance IMO ) how about these:
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPPXAL30/planet_x_al30_wheelset

Raging Squirrel

have a looks in this weeks cycling weekly.......there's a section at the back for this weeks bargains and there's a set of lightweight deep profile wheels reduced from £400 to £199.......£49 more than budget but worth the extra

..£49 more than budget but worth the extra

says who..?

Michaelt

I dont have anything to add i do however have the same question.

i am currently riding a Fuji Team 3 ('11) with factory rims and i dont know what they are but i have a budget upto £400 and am looking at Shimano RS80 C24 or Mavic ksyriums. Any opinions on which ones are better and why, and any other wheels i should think of?

Thanks

I dont have anything to add i do however have the same question.

i am currently riding a Fuji Team 3 ('11) with factory rims and i dont know what they are but i have a budget upto £400 and am looking at Shimano RS80 C24 or Mavic ksyriums. Any opinions on which ones are better and why, and any other wheels i should think of?

Thanks

like most things, you get what you pay for - but without some indication of the kind of use you will be putting them to (racing, TTs, sportives, general riding, etc) it's difficult to suggest anything relevant. I'll probably just end up suggesting you buy tyres instead anyway.....

Top Bottom