1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

700x23

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by yenrod, 11 Apr 2008.

1. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Does anyone know if you can get tyres with a SMALLER width than 23's :biggrin:

2. yep they go down to 16 i think ask at you LBS they will have all the lists for you to brouse

3. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Yep, my Michelin Axial Pros were 19/20c's IIRC. In the '80's I recall some 15c's.
    If you have a reasonably stiff bike they're chuffin uncomfortable and only really fast when the road is billiard-table smooth. Narrower road tyres than 23c these days are mostly found on aero-wheeled TT bikes.

4. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

General view is that in the real world 23s are faster on the road than narrower tyres; and you don't terrify yourself in the wet.

5. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen New Member

Indeed - a fast tyre is more about quality than lack of rubber.

I run Michelin P2Rs in 25c and don't find any noticeable difference in cruising speed/effort ratio between them and P2Rs in 23c, however the do accelerate slightly slower.

But they are miles more comfortable, and I don;t race, so can live with the tiny loss of acceleration as they spin up.

6. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

I once had 18mm tubs (well still do) and they were on 18mm Wolber Profile rims - very uncomfy, but light and fast wheels....only for TT's though.

20c is fairly common but I moved up to 23c last year and find them much better for comfort and speed over the poor roads we have now.

Do you need the clearance or something ? My 23mm leave very little clearance on my Ribble.

7. OP
    OP
    yenrod

yenrod Guest

I could go to a 25" BUT I prefer something around a 20" - because they're faster...thats the reason I ask !

I dont need grip - ive got my fat backside for that ;)

8. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Believe you me 23mm are better than 20's - I've converted to 23's they do roll better over standard road surfaces.....

Pro Race 2 or 3's all the way..........

9. OP
    OP
    yenrod

yenrod Guest

I just dont side with the 23 side of things 20's...float my boat [shrug]

10. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

I used thin tyres, but frankly, the received wisdom is true - 23s on the road. 32s for cross (I don't have the courage to run low pressure though - I have 50 psi in my front tyre - the maximum printed on it is 36.)