700x28 tyres, will it fit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

solidthegreat

Hi, I am not 100% sure if this is the right forum to ask this, but I have a 2010 allez sport and wanted to put larger tyres on for the Paris Roubaix challenge I am doing this April. Does anyone know the max width tyre I can put on the Allez that will not rub on the forks and seat stays when inflated. Was thinking of 28mm but is this too big. Didn't want to buy before knowing. The Rims I will be using are the stock alexrims that originally came with the bike, as I don't mind them being trashed. Thanks.

Depends on the tyre. Different manufacturers have different ideas of what constitutes a 28 tyre, so the only surefire way is to try it...

DRHysted

Guru
My LBS said 28 was the max my 2013 Allez would take, but advised running 25s. When I was running the 25s I had to deflate the tyre slightly to clear the brake blocks, when removing the wheel.
I'm currently running 24s without issue.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The brakes were Sora which means a 49mm drop. The old photo on Evans' website makes it look like the blocks are fairly close to the bottom of the slot, and there's reasonable clearance between the stock 23mm and the seat tube.
46mm actual brake block drop (say), less 28mm for a reasonably full-size tyre leaves about 18mm for mud clearance and that part of the fork crown/brake bridge that's below the centre of the brake bolt. I'd guess that would probably be just about enough clearance, provided that there isn't too much sticky mud. Note that this says nothing about width-ways clearance.

In the end, it's probably best to look at your 23mm tyres and mentally subtract 3 mm (sideways) or 5 mm (radially) from what clearance there is. Does what's left look reasonable?

SWSteve

Guru
The brakes were Sora which means a 49mm drop. The old photo on Evans' website makes it look like the blocks are fairly close to the bottom of the slot, and there's reasonable clearance between the stock 23mm and the seat tube.

The stocks are 25s (I also have this bike/it's listed as the spec on the specialized site)

I've never used 28s, but as the bike is supposedly (according to my LBS) able to run a set of raceblades with 25s on I would hope this would mean it could take a 28 without any guards. But as others have said put some on and see how it goes.

Good luck with the PR challenge

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The stocks are 25s (I also have this bike/it's listed as the spec on the specialized site)
Stock is listed as 23mm on the Specialized site. Were you looking at current bikes?

OP
OP
solidthegreat

solidthegreat

Thank you everybody for your advice. I will run with 25s just to be sure and will look at a couple of brands, the first that springs to mind are the conti 4 seasons, they appear to get good reviews overall.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Thank you everybody for your advice. I will run with 25s just to be sure and will look at a couple of brands, the first that springs to mind are the conti 4 seasons, they appear to get good reviews overall.
Either that or the continental gp 4000s. I used to run them on my synapse in 25 mm, but they came up a bit bigger I think. Think they were closer to 26/27.
No clearance probs at all, albeit on a different bike to urs and super comfy.

Top Bottom