75-mile CTC SEG Reliability Ride, Wickford, Essex, 12/2/12

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CTC_SEG

The South-East Essex Group of the Cyclist's Touring Club (CTC) invites you to join our annual Reliability Ride, on Sunday February 12th 2012.

This established 75-mile event, the first 'real' Essex cycle ride of the year, takes in some beautiful Essex countryside.

Start point: Market Cafe in Woodlands Road, Wickford, Essex SS12 0AL (map reference OS Sheet 167, TQ 745933).

3 start-time options - 8.30am (7-hour ride), 9am (6-hour ride) and 9.30am (5-hour ride). Cafe open from 7am.

Entry fee: £5.00 (in advance), £6.00 ('on the line'). Under-16s welcome, if accompanied by guardian. Further details are available at http://www.essexcycling.co.uk/events/seg75.php

Contact: Stefan Eichenseher (organiser), s.eichenseher<at>googlemail.com/01702 621810

Klaus

Although a bit of a haul for me to get to the start, just wondering what the route is like - is a map available?

Tynan

Veteran
28 miles from my house

strokes chin

I rode a SEG75 last year, must this be the same one? With a long leg around a cole resevoir at the end? For some reason I always remeber that ride as being in Herts which makes no sense really, quite a lot of open fields, cold, some sort of silly ford at the start that gave me an early pinch flat when I hopped off the pavement and hit something very hard under the water

Tynan

Veteran
hmm, quite the stampede for this one

sending off my entry this weekend, going to follow the London to Sarfend charity route from Hackney which goes very close to my house so should be sensible, looking forward to it subject to weather natch, bike in good order, feeling pretty god although still most of half a stone heavier tan I was going into crimbo, oh well

Tynan

Veteran
gps all loaded up after some messing with drivers, gawd what a palaver

33 miles from here to the start following the slightly country route, I assume it's very bad form to have to and from mileage that exceeds the actual ride?

form filled in but not yet posted, waiting for a fiver to appear from somewhere

JohnTCC

hmm, quite the stampede for this one

sending off my entry this weekend, going to follow the London to Sarfend charity route from Hackney which goes very close to my house so should be sensible, looking forward to it subject to weather natch, bike in good order, feeling pretty god although still most of half a stone heavier tan I was going into crimbo, oh well

I am riding this.. Tynan if you are following the london_ southend route you pass my house. i could ride with you to the start to keep you company if you want............. let me know..

Nosaj

Tynan/John TCC - I'm on this as well (subject to strict fair weather clause). Far too much time off the bike lately so I will be over the moon if I just make it round. I am on a red cannondale caad 8 say hi if you see me although I will be going off at 8.30.

Tynan

Veteran
the more the merrier, especially on the ride to the start on them quiet lanes, Pm to you two fellas, heaven knows what my pace will be, I'm keen to get round briskly while leaving some legs for the 30 miles home in daylight

but I will have 30 miles on the clock by the start, I rode 25 odd to the end of summertime ride and it certainly took the shine off me, so steady I suspect

I've not posted my form yet but I will tomorrow, I've ringed the middle start time

Tynan

Veteran
entry form posted!

a looky in the LBS for a frame pump to fit along the top tube to allow a second bottle cage

a lightly fingering of the isotonic stuff for the water

Nosaj

Mine went in a couple of days ago .....gulp.

May I recommend the Topeak road morph this can fit on a frame without the need for water bottle lugs, is fairly compact and converts to a mini track pump so you can get some decent pressure in the tyres. £ 30 but still a pretty good buy.

Do you know any LBS that sell spare legs with decent mileage in them?

Tynan

Veteran
of course you can but I had one when they first came out, I didn't like it much, the stroke was so short that I found it fiddly and it was hard to keep it vertical while I was putting a million strokes in, and the bit that clamped to the vavle failed fairly early on in its life

I like frame pumps, £10, look retro and hardcore, always on the bike so there when sir needs it

a nice red caad8? I mooned at one of those in the LBS a few years back, man up and be brave!

Tynan

Veteran
some sunshine forecast with a high of 3 degrees

thankfully only a 4 mile an hour breeze

brrrr

Nosaj

A fractured elbow after a spill will mean that I won't be able to go i'm afraid.

Keep my fingers crossed for the weather to improve. If it does not get warm soon I would seriously consider whether you go or not as there is still a hell of lot of snow and ice about our way and you are on some out of the way roads which would not have been treated.

Tynan

Veteran
funnily enough I came off last week and am only now almost over a nasty scrape plus gash to the left elbow (antibiotics and a tetanus shot)

I know, I didn't ride today because of the freeze last night and I'm an essex boy so know all about back roads, i did that ride last year and remember how exposed and bleak some of those roads were, plus to to ride there for the start means an early start over some more out of the way roads which would not have been treated

fingers crossed, there might be more snow between now and then

Top Bottom