75 miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nosaj

I have rather stupidly booked myself on this for the 12th February (SEG one). I have been off the bike since mid October starting again in the new year so far this year I have rode 36,39 and 33 milers with a bit of turbo in between. The first ride was very painful but it has got far easier now. I have rode over 75 miles before (much more bike fit then) so I know I can complete the distance. I am not too worried about time although we do have a 7 hour limit which means I can average 12-13 mph allowing for a quick stop or two which is not quick.

Aside from stocking up on a few energy bars and eating regulary will adding a recovery drink help?

My first things to go funnily enough are my shoulders and arms, my legs go next but my CV is fine

I will twiddle up the hills as I do tend to like to attack them and I think this where my legs get spent.

I am currently working out 6 days a week consisting of weights, some other aerobic stuff the turbo and my main ride on a sunday. Should I kick back a bit the week before even though these are not cycle specific.

Any other tips much appreciated as it is a very early season ride for me I am looking at it with some trepidation however my goal this year is to complete 100 miles and I have that in July and this will be a very good indicator.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
If the 75 miler is important to you I'd ease off on the weights now. You can come back to those again later and focus on the bike. 3-4 sessions a week or your weekly long ride will feel harder than necessary.
Your long ride over the next two weekends could be extended to 45 - 50 without much risk. If you can do a 20 miler the day before your long ride day then putting the two together is close to your target for a single ride. Runners often do this in marathon training.
In the 3 days before your 75 miler I would ease right back. I don't think you need a long taper because the volume you have built is not sufficient and the intensity should be low so you will recover quickly, you would probably benefit keeping your legs turning over.

100 miles in July is realistic, the more you put in to it before hand the easier it will be on the day.

You are going to need a drink of some kind on 75 miles, if not two given your level of fitness. I'd suggest a weak isotonic drink and one plain water. 500ml of each. If you eat too much sugary stuff and feel sick the water will make you feel better, people tend to eat too much sugary stuff when they are trying to gauge their needs.

What to eat/drink is contentious subject because everyone has there own preference. Experiment on your long ride and see what works for you and don't experiment on your 75 miler.

You can't plan what to wear now because the weather will dictate what you wear on the day, so have a few ideas, try things out before hand and note the temperature on the forecast.

Have fun.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Only one thing to add to that of 'Arsen Gere'; make sure you are loaded with carbo, night before or breakfast.
(i.e. Pasta, Porridge)

good luck

Top Bottom