77 years ago .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
The Dam Buster raid , I visited the Dams whilst serving in Germany , you could see where the damage had been repaired , I seem to think the last surviving Airman passed away recently ,
Forgot about that. Thanks.
Mixed feelings on it as I hate war.
70,000 casualties with 4,000 dead depending on which report is true. 56 crew members dead. A sad part of war :sad:

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I agree it's a sad inevitability of war that people have to die for it to be shortened. Although the damage to German industry feeding the war effort was limited it was a much needed morale boost to the Allies.
I think the reason it lives on in people’s memory is that it highlights British bravery, determination and ingenuity.

rualexander

Legendary Member

Domus

Guru
When on a car club holiday to Germany a few years ago, the hotelier was a mate of the chief engineer at the Möhne Dam and arranged a visit. The power station is now built into the valley side as opposed to the bottom of the dam wall where the original one was and got washed away. We went inside the dam as there is a walkway the full length. Very interesting visit.

tom73

Guru
Remarkable act of breviary sadly with deadly results. Not forgetting Barnes Wallis a true visionary worked on so much more.
His earth quake bomb help but many highly reinforced submarine pens out of action, along with V2 factories and used to the Tirpitz.
He never got over the lives of the crew lost in the Bomb buster ride his daughter said it effective him greatly.
The money he finally got paid for the bouncing bomb he gave to his old school (Christ's Hospital of blue coats fame) to set up a fund to allow kids of RAF crew last in action to attend. After the war he did a lot of work on supersonic flight and worked on remote controlled aircraft so as not to endanger the lives of test pilots.
The raid was planed to considered with a trip Churchill was going in the US to drum up support for the war and get them to join.
He planned to add it a speech when asked what if it go's wrong. His reply was "then no-one will ever know".
One positive of the rid if you can call it that. The high death toll from it lead to Geneva convention being changed to outlaw attacks on dams preventing water being used as a weapon.

A Lancaster on the way home from the flypast comes over our house ever year never fails to impress.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We used to do some work for The Research Establishment outside London. In an overgrown part of the grounds is a concrete scale model of one of the dams. It was used to experiment with scale model bouncing bombs in preparation for the raid. I saw it back in the 80's and was told that they made a point of showing it to German visitors.

tom73

Guru
On the subject of the film. A screen in the film has Guy Gibson's dog walking from the briefing room access the base to the guard room.
Every time they tried to do it the dog would not pass a certain point. They found out it was the spot the real dog was buried. The grave stone had been removed for filming (all got put back after). In the end they had to edit that part of his walk out.

Alex H

Legendary Member
I visited the Dams whilst serving in Germany ,

me too ^_^

Möhne Dam 1982

Top Bottom