77 years ago .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
He was a bit of an arse apparently, like Bader. A brave one though, but then they all were.
I understand he had a problem with other ranks , and that got him a bad reputation , seemingly his first attempt to join the RAF was knocked back because ‘ his legs were to short‘ so it’s possible if he was on the short side he may have been the target for some ridicule ,

Drago

Legendary Member
Imagine it done today with modern recording techniques and effects, it could be something else. The danger is though it'll get re written so the Americans blow up the dams, with some point tless fictitious love plot.

And then theres the dog. Do they stick to historical accuracy, or bow to modern sensitivities? I'm not one for rewriting history so as not to offend people who weren't even there, but even so its liable to be hugely contentious. Either tell it exactly how it was, or re write it and make it plain that it's now a work of fiction.

stephec

Legendary Member
Imagine it done today with modern recording techniques and effects, it could be something else. The danger is though it'll get re written so the Americans blow up the dams, with some point tless fictitious love plot.

And then theres the dog. Do they stick to historical accuracy, or bow to modern sensitivities? I'm not one for rewriting history so as not to offend people who weren't even there, but even so its liable to be hugely contentious. Either tell it exactly how it was, or re write it and make it plain that it's now a work of fiction.
'based on real events' 😂

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Like a lot of film or records remakes it makes you ask "why"?......the original cannot be bettered (is that a real word :wacko:)
Yes it is :smile:

verb
past tense: bettered; past participle: bettered
  1. improve on or surpass (an existing or previous level or achievement).
    "his account can hardly be bettered"

Domus

Guru
The last time I watched the film the dog's name was dubbed out.
When the film was made the film makers were hampered by certain things still being secret so a re-make could be more accurate.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
When the film was made the film makers were hampered by certain things still being secret so a re-make could be more accurate.

That’s interesting , I think the film was made in 1955 , so acceptable that there were still files that were deemed as sensitive , all the more reason to make another !
As for the dogs name , it was more to do with brown shoe polish !

Drago

Legendary Member
There was an outcry at that, and the blanked out bits were reinstated when it was shown again a few months later.

It's like these students that tried to erase Cecil Rhodes from history - you don't have to like it, but all the bleating in the world won't change history.

Top Bottom