8,000 miles ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tomorrow I will complete my 8,000th mile as a commuter, after starting June 2009.
However, the bike is in need of some new parts,

Bottom bracket has a slight movement.
I have worn out the rear free hub.
A new chain and cassette needed.

So I am hoping to get the afternoon off work to be able to cycle to the bike shop and get all 3 replaced.

Just thought I would share, and I still look forward to tomorrow morning to do the ride to work.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
well done!! it's a good feeling innit? and if that is all you have had to replace, even better. what bike is it?

OP
OP
kevin_cambs_uk
well done!! it's a good feeling innit? and if that is all you have had to replace, even better. what bike is it?

Cheers !

Trek CF 5200 US Postal Livery.

Still a brilliant bike, at the end of the year I am going to post my stats for the year, miles done, money saved, costs etc, as I got rid of one of our cars as well, as it failed the MOT and it needed repairs, so we didn't bother, it will be interesting stuff

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i did approx (took my clock off at about 4,000 miles) 8,000 miles july 2009 - july 2010. i'm hoping to do 10,000 miles march 2010 - march 2011. lots of commuting and hopefully this winter will allow more riding.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
thanks, but this is a well done kev, thread.

that is really good going kev, i've had to do way more repairs on my brommie, but at least the parts are cheap.

a good ego boost is to go on the 'the aa' website for calculating how much you car would have cost for the year, the minimum on 8,000 miles iirc is £4,500 and that's not including interest on finance payments.

ps,

extra well done for dropping the weight, way better than me.

I did put well done Kev....:whistle:

Well done Kev anyway...

OP
OP
kevin_cambs_uk
When you say freehub, are you talking about the rachety cylindrical thing that the cassette mounts on to?
How can you tell it's worn out?

Because I have severe OCD !!
biggrin.gif
I dislike a dirty bike, so every 2 weeks or so I clean it from top to bottom, and as a result, I clean the rear sprockets, and they now slightly move on the hub, up and down when you push the cassette, plus when you run the wheel on its hub, the ratchety sound is a bit grating noise wise.

The bottom bracket has ever such a slight play, and the chain was replaced 5,000 miles ago, at 3,000 and I know that when I get to the shop he will use his chain wear tool and tell me that its worn out, and they say its best to replace the chain and cassette at the same time, but I have ordered myself the cassette removal tools, so I hope to be able to do this part myself in the future, but changing the bottom bracket and free hub are jobs I think for now are beyond me.

But if all I have to do each year is replace the free hub, chain, cassette and bottom bracket, plus around 4 tyres still one hell of a lot cheaper than running the car.

Top Bottom