8 Speed Drivetrain, Chainset Upgrade Woes

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by stewartbradford, 13 May 2010.

1. stewartbradford

stewartbradford New Member

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new chainset, currently running a 42/52 and want to change to a compact. However looking about there aren't any 8 speed compact chainsets for sale.

Having run a few permutations through Wheelworks' drivetrain wizard and it looks like I'm a bit screwed in terms of an optimum upgrade.

A 9 speed Campag would work but I can't find a reasonably priced Campag compact chainset and don't intend to move over to a full Campag groupset in the future.

Putting in basically any 9 speed chainset, be it Shimano or FSA (9/10 speed compatible) warns me about chainring/chain compatibility saying that is should work but there might be problems.

Pushing the boat out a wee bit further and considering an upgrade to an SRAM 10 speed (S350 for what it's worth) and I get a warning saying that it will need a narrower chain, but then I have concerns about the cassette - it says that it might be noisy but as long as it shifts I don't mind too much about a bit of noise.

A full upgrade of cassette, chainrings, shifters and rear derailleur is way out of budget at the moment but I was hoping to be able to start a move to either 9 or 10 speed with this upgrade.

So does anyone know if the SRAM upgrade would work, or would a 9 speed Shimano/FSA work better?

It's all too confusing :biggrin:

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Stewart

2. MartinC

MartinC Über Member

You can get a quality Stronglight Impact compact chainset for about £60 from Spa Cycles - it'll be fine with an 8 speed set up. If you can find a cheap Xenon of Mirage compact that will do too.

3. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Resistance is futile! Moderator

My FSA chainset with 10-speed compatable rings works perfectly on 8 and 7 speed.

4. GrahamG

GrahamG Veteran

As per the above - ignore the 9/10 bollocks, it's a crankset so the chainrings will be very slightly narrower than 8 speed (like a tiny amount) which causes no problems whatsoever.

5. OP
    OP
    stewartbradford

stewartbradford New Member

Thanks for the help guys, certainly puts my mind at rest that I can opt for pretty much any chainset I want.

Just to check, this one will work: SRAM Rival Looking at the Stronglight and a few others by the time you add in the cost of a BB it's not a huge price jump to what I imagine is a superior product.

Thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice