8 track recorder advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
Anybody out there know about this kind of stuff? BG minor wants something he can connect to his (my) PC and and record his and his chums music on. I've looked as some stuff but the specs mean nothing to me so I may well end up buying a load of rubbish if I'm not careful. I may have to look 2nd hand cos theres only about £150 to play with. Any thoughts/comments much appreciated please.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you don't get a satisfactory answer here, the SoundOnSound website is the place to go.

If you go to this page there is a list of 166 articles on recording gear. You could narrow them down to a shortlist and pay 99p each for pdfs of the reviews in question. Alternatively, go on their forum and ask the same question.

I used to subscribe to SOS. It's a very good magazine for anyone interested in home recording. If junior doesn't already get it, a subscription would make a nice Christmas present. It's also possible to get an 'eSub' (electronic subscription) which allows access to numerous back issues.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Thanks Colin. I'll take a look at that site

and thanks Mike , yes they are a band , not bad either, but I'm biased.even played at the Cavern.
I was just looking at the Boss one mainly cos theres a few on E Bay 2nd hand :thumbsup:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
If they are recording the band live then make sure whatever you go for has enough inputs...a pc soundcard with just one or two inputs might not be enough. One other thing...dragging a PC rig along to a gig/rehearsal is a PITA (although laptops arnt).... Computer software is probably the way to go for homestudio but FWIW I'd prefer a hard disc recorder for out and about....there are lot's of cheap ones around at the moment as well as all the kids want PC software....

...downside would be the need to get audio in/out of the pc to the web from a hard disc recorder not geared for that...

..Roland VS units are good, cheap and reliable (but OLD in tecky worlds) ...the used VS 2480's are superb value right now, and they can import export wavs to the net easily. Only 3-4 years ago these were pretty much state of the art hard disc recorders.

..oopps looking at your budget the 2480 might be a bit to high...so take a look at som eused VS 1880/1680's or even the VS 880's....they will do the job...& they can always still burn CD's and rip them into th epc for web collaboration or whatever.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
BigonaBianchi said:
If they are recording the band live then make sure whatever you go for has enough inputs...a pc soundcard with just one or two inputs might not be enough. One other thing...dragging a PC rig along to a gig/rehearsal is a PITA (although laptops arnt).... Computer software is probably the way to go for homestudio but FWIW I'd prefer a hard disc recorder for out and about....there are lot's of cheap ones around at the moment as well as all the kids want PC software....

...downside would be the need to get audio in/out of the pc to the web from a hard disc recorder not geared for that...

..Roland VS units are good, cheap and reliable (but OLD in tecky worlds) ...the used VS 2480's are superb value right now, and they can import export wavs to the net easily. Only 3-4 years ago these were pretty much state of the art hard disc recorders.

..oopps looking at your budget the 2480 might be a bit to high...so take a look at som eused VS 1880/1680's or even the VS 880's....they will do the job...& they can always still burn CD's and rip them into th epc for web collaboration or whatever.

Cheers BB for you're time, thats very helpful. It seems from my chat with him just now that he's keen on doing his own stuff rather than with the band and he's hed enough of pc based software cos he just wants to play rather than become a technoboffin. I'll check out th4 stuff you listed.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I like the Roland VS units ( I record on a VS 1880 at home) ...thing is though that they are 'OLD SKOOL' by most kids standards these days and the line is being/has been phased out by Roland. The VS units were/are amoung the best and first 'affordable' digital multi track hard disc recorders. They are totally adequate for a band and/or a homebased muso. In essence they offer pretty much everything you need to record and produce a studio quality CD in a small home based rig. When i was young we dreamed of having affordable multi tracking...now I have 8 inputs,18 playback and 288 digital tracks, hundreds of studio quality effects all in a small desk top box ....and it's already out of date ...which is cool because it means it is CHEAP. The learning curve will be steep with any recording set up if you've never been involved B4 but it's worth it.

I suggest these because I use them & have many friends who use them as well...no doubt the younger generation will shun them because they are not software based but for the cash they are a superb machine and like I said will do the job.

I write and play all the time with my VS 1880 set up running...it's like a second instrument to me...very quick to work with once you learn how to drive it.

BUT...like I said, the industry is software based...if you want to be in with the in crowd a hard disc recorder is not exactly street cred right now....

...but my next move in my home studio will likely be to pick up a good used VS 2480 with a monitor, on board effects cards and mastering and some plug ins...dunno...maybe I just like real buttons and nobs compared to mice:laugh:

if you want to hear what Roland recording units like these sound like listen to this:

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=799926&t=9942

It was recorded totally on my VS 1880 and the bands VS 2480's across cyberspace.

Top Bottom