8 weeks to 30 miles - Beginners Plan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Falco Frank

Über Member
Hello again, cant keep an old dog down...

Found a reasonable plan for a 30 mile ride I really want to take part in, just over 8 weeks time. All the ones I've viewed are, of course, for 'those-who-have-yet-to-see-the-light'.

Seems do-able to me but, not necessarily all out on the road, esp given the somewhat difficult weather at the moment (well, I am in the North East!)

Comments on this plan very welcome:

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/beginners-cycling-plan-training-guide

alicat

Legendary Member
Yes, it looks fine from what I can see. Maybe start at week two and have an easier week later on so you are refreshed when the ride comes around.

Sharky

Guru
The training schedule looks remarkably similar to the training regimes that people followed when I started out.
- Training on Tuesday & Thursday nights with race day or big club run on the Sunday.

I think there was one famous Merseyside coach that said something on the lines - "The club training is every Tuesday and Thursday night, unless it falls on Christmas Day - then we celebrate Christmas on the Wednesday."

Joking aside, I always believe that if you can achieve the total mileage on a weekly basis, then come the special week, you will get round no problem.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Do you have a tough time limit for the 30 miles? That plan looks a bit extreme to me, opening with "essential" kit and bike fits and :wacko:. 30 miles is 3 hours relaxed cycling once you're used to it.

If possible, I'd just pick some destination (a park, a shop, a cafe, whatever) 3 miles away, ride to it and back until it's comfortable (maybe not easy, but comfortable), then something 5 miles away, then 10, then 15... and 15 there and back is 30 and ready, give or take maybe the event being hillier. It's great if the route gives you "bail out" options like trains if it all goes odd (might be restricted for a 'bent), but being able to phone a friend or having enough time to walk the bike home would suffice. Try to drink little and often before you're thirsty and eat a small snack every 10 miles or so. Don't overthink it. Look around and try to enjoy the view. This isn't a round the world challenge, but it's more than most people would do and your body will probably thank you for it.

Last edited:
That's basically what I'm trying to do at the moment to get ready for this years tour.
3-4 days a week that slightly stretch my fitness.

Luck ....... :biggrin:

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm a little uncertain if that Training Plan is designed to dissuade or encourage:sad:.
Just get out on your bike as often as you can, but don't cycle until it hurts. You will find the distance you can cycle without discomfort will gradually increase as the weeks go by and you'll easily manage the 30 miles within 8 weeks.
Tip for the event day......Be careful not to allow any racing wannabes to discourage you by their disappearing at great speed from the start line, slow and steady will get you there:okay:.

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
I'd of tried riding in rain but, high winds, snow and ice have been constant enemies of the last two weeks!

So, I finally dug out my turbo trainer and brought Heriot, into the kitchen for to make a desperate overdue start to training.

30 minutes at a light resistance felt pretty good and even highlight a few misplaced controls that I could easily rectify (while pedalling!) but getting fairly hot with no draught...

Sadly, next day there is a price to pay, legs and hip were good which is a great consolation but my back is aching from lack of being used to the position and, I think, the rear wheel being a couple of inches higher than I'm used to.

Wont stop me having another go tomorrow :bicycle:

Top Bottom