8 year-old on his own bike on tour in Holland/Germany. Advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
I think Alan H has come up with a good idea, particularly with regard to the sense of achievement for the young lad. There are ferry options across the Ijsselmeer if the full circuit proves to be too much.
The island of Texel might be worth considering, little motor traffic over there.

Dave5N

Über Member
Personally, and I know this will get flamed, but I think eight is far, far too young for children to be out on the open road.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Dave5N said:
Personally, and I know this will get flamed, but I think eight is far, far too young for children to be out on the open road.

It is very dependant on the child and their road sense, and the type of road. My 7 yo will cycle on some roads and then paths for the busier roads (mostly paths). He has cycled abroard in Switzerland on minor roads - the confusing thing there of course is which side of the road to be on. He's not going to learn until he goes on them. Note he has more road sense than his sister 4 years older!!

At what age would you consider they should be on the road? And for what reasons? (I agree that on a 20" bike I don't think he's that visiable to cars so I didn't let him ride his 16" bike on the road for that reason).

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Dave5N said:

I think you're right in UK terms but the cycling routes in Holland and Germany, the general provision for cyclists and the high levels of awareness of cyclists on the part of drivers in those countries makes it a totally different proposition there.

OP
OP
B

Blaugrana

Über Member
Thanks (you know who you are) for reassurance about cycling with an eight year old. Good to hear.

On the planning front, I managed to go to Stanfords in London today and came home with:

one map showing major cycle routes across Germany, Switzerland and Austria, to help me with my basic geography

two 1:150,000 ADFC cycling maps for the Wesser river route, which is my favourite at the moment - very 'family-friendly', both ends easy to get to via Dutch railways, aiming for the coast.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice. I will let yous know how it went.

Jeff

orbiter

There's also a useful German tourist web site with good stuff for cycling, http://www.germany-tourism.de/cycling/interactive_germany_map.htm which may suggest a route between Venlo & MGB.

I've ridden the Rhine & Neckar (Bike Flyer to Venlo and train as far up as you've time for). I'd definitely stop at Koln though; anywhere upstream is good. There are plenty of hostels, too. The parts of the Weser I've been on, round Hamelin, were great - and you can stop off to see the pied piper.

Round the Ijselmeer is good but you risk running into headwinds which could spoil the fun. At least the river routes are principally downhill. The LF1 from H H to Haarlem is good but I'd pass on cycling into Amsterdam for sightseeing; I prefer to train in from Haarlem and not worry about getting the bike nicked. But cycling in/through it is fun.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Blaugrana, I'm planning a similar thing (although minus 8-y-o child next May/June) using the Dutch Flying from Harwich to Hoek van Holland and then getting the train to Köln, cycling south up the Rhine to Mainz and then turning round, going to Koblenz and then along the Mosel to Bernkastel/Kues before getting the train back. At least that's my current version of the plan.

Anyway, I don't think I realised about the Dutch Flyer allowing you trains throughout Holland. That's very encouraging as I presume I can get a train to the Dutch border, then hop on a Deutsche Bahn train to Köln.

Let me know when you're going (if you go), I might be on the same boat as you!

Dave5N

Über Member
Dave5N said:

User76 said:
Thats bollocks. MaggotJr has been riding on the road for 18 months or so now, he is 9 next wednesady. Yesterday we rode from Cheddar, out along the lanes to Burnham, then back along the A38, 20-25 miles round trip, no drama. He cycles about 1m out, I cycle 1m further out and slightly back and all is well.

See. I was right. :laugh::smile:

OP
OP
B

Blaugrana

Über Member
Auntie Helen,

I have read your thread and your tour sounds great.

Before I went on my recce, I was told my someone at National Express Anglia (or whatever it's called now) that the Dutch Flyer ticket covered you to any Dutch station but was worried I might have problems. In fact it was very easy. The first ticket inspector told me I had to buy a ticket for the bike (folding bikes go free but my recumbent doesn't fold) and it would have been easier to get this at Hook of Holland rather than leaving it until Rotterdam. The bike space on trains isn't always huge, but I had no problems. Does your trike fold? With luck you'll be able to buy a through ticket and get charged for the German portion.

After a week in the cyclists' paradise that is Holland, I crashed back into English contempt for cycling when I arrived back in Harwich to find a 'replacement bus service due to engineering'. The first few coach drivers refused bloody-mindedly to carry any bikes but a coach was finally found to take the four cyclists to the next train station with trains.

I'll be travelling over the Easter school holidays or the summer half-term. Good luck with your tour!

Tony

Had that two years running coming from York, when the trains stopped at Peterborough and I was met with a flat refusal to carry my bike.

PS: it's the Weser, not the Wesser.....

Top Bottom