80 km (50 mile) ride from Hebden Bridge, Sat, 27th April, 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Hmmm. 😞
At least the wind looks low

1713610155371.png

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
:cold:

I'll be a bit north of you crewing for a race. Looks unpleasant.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't trust weather forecasts this far out. By Wednesday or Thursday we should be getting a fairly accurate forecast.

That’s summer weather here in Yorkshire !
I was actually starting to worry about that yesterday.

My mum came from the west coast of Scotland. We used to go back there for 6 weeks every summer. We had one brilliant year when it was sunny every day, but another was the opposite - it poured every day for the entire summer! I really don't think that I could cope with another washout summer like that...

If I can drag myself away from the computer I am going to go out this afternoon and ride round some of those roads.

More victims riders wanted - sign up below! :welcome:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Pencil me in. It'll be a challenge as I'll need to be careful with the battery capacity but I should have enough to make it to Craggies. Need to keep some reserves for that climb from 53-57 ish km! :ohmy:
Not yet ready to do a lumpy 50+ miler on your new carbon fibre bike...? :whistle:

The Met Office forecast for Saturday is not too bad using its current weather model. I am trying the new weather model's forecasts on another device though and the forecast using that is drizzly showers all day. Both forecasts suggest a chilly wind so bring some warm clothing, including a rain jacket.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Doing our big ride on Thursday - possibly out to Vyrnwy if our novice rider thinks he can make it. Will be thinking of you

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Bad news. All my money just got swallowed up. I'm a no show. Again. 🤬

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The Met Office forecast for Saturday is not too bad using its current weather model. I am trying the new weather model's forecasts on another device though and the forecast using that is drizzly showers all day.
The forecast is improving as we get closer to the ride! It will still be chilly but we might avoid the rain.

Ermm... 😬
I am a little tempted actually, but its biggest sprocket is 30 and I prefer easier gears than that for steep stuff.
I have a 30 too, which I use a lot with the 36-tooth little ring, but I have the advantage of a 28-tooth even littler 3rd chainring which will get some use! (I have bent the front mech's cage outer edge in slightly to try to avoid the situation that we had on the Scammonden ride where it couldn't nudge the chain down to the inner ring.)

Bad news. All my money just got swallowed up. I'm a no show. Again. 🤬
Aaargh - bad luck! See if you can make another ride later in the year.

Dadam

I have a 30 too, which I use a lot with the 36-tooth little ring, but I have the advantage of a 28-tooth even littler 3rd chainring which will get some use! (I have bent the front mech's cage outer edge in slightly to try to avoid the situation that we had on the Scammonden ride where it couldn't nudge the chain down to the inner ring.)

My smallest on that bike would be 34/30 so still a bit higher than yours. I'll see what I feel like on the day. It could well be you waiting for me at the top of hills!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

My smallest on that bike would be 34/30 so still a bit higher than yours. I'll see what I feel like on the day. It could well be you waiting for me at the top of hills!
There are about 5 ramps at 15-20% where the really low gears are handy but they are only 100-200 metres long so a bit of oomph might get you up in 34/30?

I might try to tackle those ramps in my 36/30 gear, but the problem would be changing rings halfway up if I failed... Not great doing it under severe pressure but equally not great to try to get going again if I had to stop to do it!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Okay , chaps... The forecast seems to have settled at dry, maybe a few sunny intervals, cool but a very chilly wind blowing making it feel colder still.

Dress warm, but layered in case conditions are not as cold as expected! I am going to wear 2 long-sleeved jerseys over a very light long-sleeved base layer. The outer jersey isn't that warm so I might get away with keeping it on all day but I can take it off if I overheat.

Let's meet just before 09:00 at the little car park next to Hebden Bridge park, on the road to the railway station.

See you in the morning. :hello:

PS Not too late for other riders to decide to join us... :whistle:

Top Bottom