80 miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drunkenjoiner

Hi guys, my first post so please be gentle. I am a reasonably fit 50 year old who has done very little road cycling. I am looking at doing the Barnsley Boundry ride to raise money for Help the Heros. It is 80 miles and at the very end of August 2016
Is it something I could realistically prepare for in that timescale. As a fun ride obviously
Look forward to any and all replies/advice.
Kind regards

Joffey

Big Dosser
Can't see why not. Just put the miles in and get unto a solo 60 and you'll be fine on the day.

Loads of threads on this stuff, have a search using the box at top of page and there will be loads of threads containing tips etc... and finally GOOD LUCK!!

OP
OP
Drunkenjoiner

Drunkenjoiner

Thanks Joffey, I have done loads of Km's in the gym but that's not the same and done a few 25/35 mile charity rides with little or no preperation.
Thanks for the search tip, I will take a good look.
Kind regards
DJ

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi and welcome and good luck!
You can do it if you start putting the miles in now.
Hope it's not too hilly.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
You definitely have time to get prepared.

Just try and get out a couple of times a week, start increasing the miles, get used to being in the saddle for hours.

At least one or two weeks before, see if you can manage 50 miles. If you can do that, you will survive i'm sure.

Do you have a road bike or perhaps an urban / flat bar bike? Is it light or heavy ?

I assume you won't be alone - you will be amazed how other riders seemingly carry you along - it's quite weird.

You definitely have time to get prepared. Just try and get out a couple of times a week, start increasing the miles, get used to being in the saddle for hours.

+1

As well as getting the miles in your legs and increasing your fitness and stamina, getting your backside and saddle to be best mates, IMO (due to my own painful experience) is the most important aspect in the build-up.

Good luck, you'll do it 'comfortably.' ;)

There are loads of 12 week training plans for 100 miles (just do a google search) and you will be in inundated. So with nearly double the time it should be a doddle. (in theory)

To be honest the hardest part will be getting your body used to being in the saddle for between 5-8 hours (depending on how quick you want to complete it)

If your goal is just to complete the distance and you're not that concerned with your time then rather than overcomplicating things time in the saddle is the only training you really need.

If you can ride say 20 miles in one go try and add 10% on to that the next time out and so on. Or you can think of a reasonable attainable weekly mileage and add 10% on that each week easing back after each 4 week block allowing for a bit of recovery.

Do try and get at least one long steady ride in each week on your day off and if you can fit a couple of shorter rides in all the better.

If you can get your long ride up to 56-60 miles pre-event then the day itself should carry you through.

If you want to complete the 80 miles well under 5 hours, then you may need something a little more specific.

OP
OP
Drunkenjoiner

Drunkenjoiner

Thanks everyone for your answers and support.
I have a road bike,Scott Speedster 60, not sure if that classes as light or heavy.
In terms of the ride, time is certainly not an issue but fun is. (if that is possible) The ride is open to 1000 riders and was very well attended last year.
So good company along the way is assured.
If I had to pick one worry it would not be my legs but as pointed out my butt. I suppose miles on the road are the only real way to acquaint my backside and the saddle sufficiently enough.
Thanks again
DJ

It shouldn't be a big problem. It's a group ride, so the mental side of it will be easier. As long as you get some regular 50+ mile rides in from now until then, and you don't have any medical / injury problems, you'll be fine:thumbsup:. Good luck.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Lots of good tips above. As you liked the very sage words from @Dogtrousers, I'd suggest seeing if you can find a cafe ride or pub ride day-tripping group near you that does something between your current distance and 80 miles. Try looking on facebook, ridesocial, meetup and so on. If they're good, it should be a good way to discover nice road routes and get experience of relaxed group riding.

CycedAngus

Best thing to do is slowly build the miles. I started cycling in Sept 2015 and my cardio and leg strength was poor.

Slowly I got:
  • To 20 miles
  • To 30 miles
  • To 50 miles
  • To 75 miles
All in the space of 2.5 months. Push yourself as much as possible, but make sure you do it in a safe environment*
Good luck on your ride, I hope it goes well!

*A safe environment being one where if you do burnout or "bonk", you aren't too far away from home etc.

MiK1138

Veteran
If Weather and Time are on your side you should get up to 80 no problem, important thing is not to think about about the distance just go out and enjoy the ride if you are in decent company the miles will fly by

Top Bottom