80 psi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bauldbairn

JiMBR said:
I can recommend 'Town and Country' from Continental...excellent tyres.

I looked at these - then went for the Michelin City's, although next time I quite fancy the Continentals. What's the grip like on tarmac?

Oh! My tyres are 1.85" X 26" and I have 75psi in the front and 85psi in the rear on tarmac. I take about 15/20psi out for towpaths though. Anywhere in the tyre walls pressure range should be ok Wilko, as others have said - experiment.

JiMBR

bauldbairn said:
I looked at these - then went for the Michelin City's, although next time I quite fancy the Continentals. What's the grip like on tarmac?

Once they are bedded in, the grip on tarmac is brilliant.

lukesdad

Good all round pressure for off road tyres is 45 psi ( you ll still get grip but should minnimize punctures).

Chrisc

Guru
A friend recently decided to go with the 80psi max on his tyres as stated on the tyrewall. Bit bouncy but he got home ok and leaned his bike in the hallway as usual. An hour later there was an almighty bang and he found the bike with the front tyre off the rim, a six inch rip in the tube and a huge bulge in the rim.
Obviously a bad idea to lean it against the radiator!

Jonathan M

Chrisc said:
A friend recently decided to go with the 80psi max on his tyres as stated on the tyrewall. Bit bouncy but he got home ok and leaned his bike in the hallway as usual. An hour later there was an almighty bang and he found the bike with the front tyre off the rim, a six inch rip in the tube and a huge bulge in the rim.
Obviously a bad idea to lean it against the radiator!

+1 for this! I used to run Mavic 231 rims, lightish weight jobbies, back in the 90's. With canti's this meant rim wear, & lots of it with weekly rides at all the MTB'ing hotspots, forget trail centres they didn't really exist then. Riding home from work one night I had the above happen, I'd pumped the tyres up that morning before going to work and simply the pressure had found the rims' weak spot. Probably got nothing to do with being near a radiator, more that the rim was worn and could only cope with an hour. Mine coped with about 9 hours on that day before it went bang!

lukesdad

Ive got some ritchey thumbs that ive had for a few years now they dont wear at all amazing things 26x1 s anybody know if you ca n still get them or their equivilents?

joshtp

i would say that 80psi is hugely high, i run 25psi in my 2.5 highrollers on my HT, i ride mostly XC/AM trails, and im about 9.5 stone, i supose a bit more would be good in smaller tyres, as would be for a heavier rider, or for smoother trails.

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
I believe Wilko has a Sirrus, mine came with Spec kevlar 700 x 28's

Valy

Yeah - 80PSI sound kind of insane to me.

BTW - don't you get more speed with higher pressures? Following the logic that there would be less SA, therefore less friction?

yashicamat

Just to add, I offroad with my Maxxis 2.2's at 50psi - I find this gives some cushioning still, but protects against pinch punctures and means I can still roll along OK on the road sections.

GrasB

Veteran
Coast down tests show that my 26x1.3" conti sports contacts should be at around 85psi front & rear, that's the maximum for the tyre, where as the 26x1.95" mitch' country gravel are about right at 45-50psi.

Top Bottom