81 yr old MX5 driver ploughs into cyclists on A-road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Oh well, now this local news item made it into the mainstream news and Mrs W has seen it she's worrying herself sick every time I leave the house. As she says to me 'I'm not worried about you, it's the other idiots I worry about'. :sad:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The video has just been posted on the local Lancaster facebook group... under the heading 'a solution for cyclists' :eek: The OP claims he's asking for a friend, and reckons he's a cyclist too :eek::eek:

mgs315

Its been on the Mail. Unsurprisingly, most of their readers reckon the cyclists fault for having the temerity to be in front of a car.

Aye. One of the typical Torygraph readers in my local merely said ‘can’t they find something better to do than get in the way of taxpayers?’

Milzy

Guru

Profpointy

Legendary Member
One thing on this is when a past-it driver has an accident due to decrepitute, even if (unlike this instance) little harm is actually done, it makes the national press and calls for "something to be done" ensue. 2000 are killed on the roads each year, overwhelmingly not by the elderly.

I can't help see a parallel with the calls for (anti-) cycling legislation in the light of the recent bad cycling case where the pedestrian was killed. Tragic though it was, it really is low priority compared to the carnage from motor vehicles. Likewise past-it drivers, 99% of whom self limit to familiar roads in daylight causing little more than mild annoyance by dithering.

Not saying it's OK, as this case shows, but in the greater scheme of things, moronic, aggressive, and downright murderous (ie with intent to use a vehicle to intimidate or wound) driving should be the focus of any policy.

If age is to be a criteria, wouldn't banning anyone under 25 or 30 save far more lives ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Are you assuming that those who are unfit to drive recognise that fact ?

Or are you advocating regular driver re-testing ?

The latter. Perhaps every decade, then every 3 years at 70, something of that order.

Certainly the Rav4 driver knew she was unfit to drive, else she wouldnt have had written instructions on her dashboard telling her how to operate the vehicle.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've searched for every mention of Rav4 on this site. Nothing matches this post. Do you really expect us to know what you are talking about?

Why do you feel the need to be rude to everyone?

Here, go back a whole 5 posts and read the link.

The vehicle in question is a Rav4 automatic, so clearly I do know what I'm talking about.

Top Bottom