83 miles, would carbon make it easier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scrub

HI

I did Lap The Lough yesterday around Lough Neagh and, after drooling over some really nice bikes on the way round, was wondering if I had been on a full carbon bike would it have been any easier or indeed any quicker than doing it on my Trek 1.2 road bike.
I have been cycling since February when a new club was formed in my area and have only ever ridden the Trek 1.2 road bike. Quite a few of the guys and gals in the club have started upgrading their bikes, many of them have also only started riding bikes in February this year.
In preparation for LTL I have been out two or three times a week and felt confident of getting around the 83 mile circuit.
The furthest I had done before this was a couple of runs around 65 miles along with quite a few at 50.
I found the last ten miles really tough but still managed an impressive (to me anyway) average of 18mph, so, again my question is would it have been any easier or indeed any quicker if I had been on a full carbon bike instead of doing it on my Trek 1.2 road bike?

Thanks

Scrub

boydj

Legendary Member
You have probably got a lot more improvement to make in your overall fitness, strength, endurance and experience in pacing your efforts to get the best out of yourself before a new bike would make a significant difference. No doubt a fine new carbon-framed bike would be a bit lighter and might feel great, but might not be the best investment at this time. A new set of wheels might be the best upgrade at this stage in your cycling career and possibly an indoor trainer to keep up your fitness over the winter and give you a flying start to next season. You'll be in a better position next year to know what kind of new bike will suit you best for the type of cycling you'll be doing.

18mph is pretty good for a relative newcomer to the sport, btw. Well done.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Beat the carbon boys and feel even more smug ;)

To save 2 llbs in weight on the boardman i ride by going carbon it would cost me another £500 on top of what i paid (£800), losing that off myself will cost a bit of sweat.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
an avg of 18mph over 83 miles... blimey.. I ride a carbon bike and can only dream of reaching that average.

OP
OP
S

Scrub

You have probably got a lot more improvement to make in your overall fitness, strength, endurance and experience in pacing your efforts to get the best out of yourself before a new bike would make a significant difference. No doubt a fine new carbon-framed bike would be a bit lighter and might feel great, but might not be the best investment at this time. A new set of wheels might be the best upgrade at this stage in your cycling career and possibly an indoor trainer to keep up your fitness over the winter and give you a flying start to next season. You'll be in a better position next year to know what kind of new bike will suit you best for the type of cycling you'll be doing.

18mph is pretty good for a relative newcomer to the sport, btw. Well done.

+1 for a new set of wheels. And well inflated tyres.

Also use of gears for the terain: spinning/grinding.

And oiled and clean chain/cogs etc.

Good effort, BTW!

Cheers guys, so what wheels would you recommend then?

Cheers guys, so what wheels would you recommend then?

Depends on your budget. I'm very impressed with my Ksyrium SL wheels.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Another vote for Ksyirium SLs, very efficient wheels especially climbing hills.

They might feel harsh if you have an aluminium bike; use them but keep the originals in a safe place then put the Ksyriums on your new carbon bike, which they will compliment very nicely.

avsd

Guru
The rider not the material makes the difference. I did LtL yesterday as well on a nice Cannondale Carbon with full Ultegra. Average 15.5mpg which I was happy :smile:

The serious riders (A team standard) in my club, Phoenix, on decent bikes, did LtL in 18.9 mph so be proud, very proud of your achievement :thumbsup:

New bike/new wheels etc are nice but not essential to enjoy cycling. After doing 18mph over 83.5 miles you may deserve but not really need new wheels unless you are going to time trial/race.

TrevorM

Hi Scrub
I also did Lap the Lough yesterday. 18mph is an impressive average, mine was 16.5 (my excuse is I'm 55)
A lighter bike helps mainly when climbing but would not have made much difference yesterday because the route was mainly flat.
As others have said concentrate instead on building your fitness and technique for a year or two.
By then you will be much more knowledgeable and able to make a good choice. Also do a few rides on a friend's carbon bike if you can to feel the difference.

WychwoodTrev

Hi ya Scrub that is a very impresive av you did there :thumbsup:

You should have a better time on a full carbon as it will soak up alot of the road buzz so you feel fresher, Also most have better components on so better gears brakes and bearings

But I do agree with some folk who say the most important part of a cycle is the engine (You) shame my enginge is old and worn out :laugh:

OP
OP
S

Scrub

Cheers for the replies.

I headed out with the A group for the first time at LtL. I had been contemplating it for a few weeks but didn't like the thought of a) keeping them back when the going got tough or b) getting left behind.
At LtL, I decided I would go out with them and if I failed to keep the pace, I wouldn't be alone as there were a couple of thousand people doing it.
As it turned out, I stuck the pace for 73 miles and finished just a few minutes after them.
I was delighted, received a lot of praise for my efforts afterwards and also some opinions on how I could progress further. One of which was upgrading my bike hence my query - my bike was the only entry level one amongst my pals.

Top Bottom