83 Raleigh Rapide - finally rebuilding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Here is the start of the rebuild. Need to get it finished before Xmas.

Currently spent

Frame £25
Respray £30
531 decal £5
Weiman xr18 front wheel £10
Campagnolo mexico 68 rear wheel free
New dual pivot brakes £45
Campagnolo crank £31
Campagnolo rear mech £10
Brake and gear inner/outer £10
Inner tubes £5
New tyres £18
All other stuff as original bike

Total £189

Still need handlebar tape
Didn't need to get new crank and brakes, just wanted to make it extra special as it's for my son.
This restoration business is expensive.

Will post pictures as and when it's finished.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 88

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
as you say @Tony Raynor it doe's not come cheap but still cost less than a new bike would do and will still be good in a few more years to come

well done

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Woe woe woe.....

Xmas cheer has just left my household. Some noob mistakes and a little bad luck.

Front derallieur knackered. Wasn't until I tried to get it adjusting that one of the screws broke :-(.

No problem, had a spare derallieur so off I went, put it on but could I get the damn thing to change from the inner ring.

And here is the noob mistake.... Campy crank doesn't fit on the spindle properly so no amount of adjusting was ever going to get it done. Gutted but honestly didn't know there were differences in tapers etc.

Have the original crank ( minus left crank as was already stripped). Will need to run and try and get a spare left arm, luckily have a recycle place that is open on Saturday.

Good news is rear mech is all up and running so still hopeful that it will be finished for Xmas.

that looks great. shame about the issues but at least you are learning as you go.

that stem has come up well.

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
One of the perks of the 83 rapide was that it already had recessed nuts for the brakes so got lucky.

The stem was just polished with the much beloved auto sol.

I cheated on the seat post and got a new one.

Here's the latest picture with original crank back in (a little lovesick for that campy crank).

I'm still pretty pleased for my first full restoration.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Top Bottom