'86 Peugeot Elite Road Bike Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teuchter

Über Member
Thanks for your reply, some really good advice that I will take on board, thanks!

Since buying the bike I've replaced gear and brake inner cables, stripped and cleaned the calipers and fitted new brake blocks and also replaced both tyres and tubes.

I went on a 25ish mile round trip cycle from Beith to Largs today. The cycle there was really good, it was all uphill and very challenging (for me anyway). I was looking forward to the cycle back however my rear derailleur broke about 1 mile into the return journey. Nightmare!

So now I'm looking to replace the rear derailleur asap. Can you recommend a make/model ? I'm not really sure what is compatible and what isn't . :sad:
I replaced mine with a "vintage" shimano 600 derailleur from eBay fairly cheaply after missing out on the bidding on a few nice looking Suntours. Easy to set up (none of this modern indexing carry on!) and I'm now running it with a 14-28 with no problems. I think most old derailleurs will do the job, just make sure you get one that's bolt-on and not hook-on.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
...I went on a 25ish mile round trip cycle from Beith to Largs today. The cycle there was really good, it was all uphill and very challenging (for me anyway). I was looking forward to the cycle back however my rear derailleur broke about 1 mile into the return journey. Nightmare!...

Sorry to hear that, but don't despair as you're probably better off without it; although Simplex had a long history and a great reputation, by the Eighties they had been going downhill for some time. I bought a bike with a SX610 GT which promptly exploded into the spokes, so you're in good company!

Period Shimano mechs, such as Teuchter referred to, are plentiful and reasonably priced; assuming you won't be going 8 speed, then you have a huge choice. As a beginner you would be well advised to stick to Shimano or Campagnolo, so as to avoid any complications.

There used to be many more component manufacturers and it was quite common for one company's product to be rebranded: you might think you had avoided the woeful SX610 when you bought a Gipiemme Cronosprint, when they are one and the same.

Another reason to stick with the two most common brands, is that the Seventies and Eighties was also a period of great innovation and there are some weird and wonderful bits floating around that will have you pulling your hair out.

Although it's not likely to be an issue with your set-up, now would be a good time to familiarise yourself with two points to consider when choosing a rear mech: chain wrap and sprocket (the rear cogs) capacity.

Sprocket capacity is simply the largest sprocket it can handle. Using the SX610 GT as an example, you can see (listed as Max Cog Size) that it can handle a sprocket with 36 teeth, which is pretty generous by today's standards.

If you look at a mountain bike (which tend to have larger sprockets than road bikes) you'll see that the cage (which contains the two jockey wheels) is longer than that typically found on a road bike, so that it can cope with the bigger sprockets: the longer the cage, the greater the capacity. The advantage of a shorter cage is that changing gear is quicker and crisper, hence the different versions.

Chain wrap is explained on this page (third and fourth paragraphs). These days you are unlikely to see the wrap quoted in the headline specs, as modern derailleurs can all cope with what has become the standard range of sprockets and chainrings. But if you are using older kit or have a set-up at the extreme of the usual range (touring in hilly areas for example), it's worth bearing in mind. The SX610 GT could cope with both of the example set-ups because it has a maximum chain wrap capacity of 38 teeth.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I forgot to mention two websites that I have found really helpful in getting my head around all the technical jargon, compatibility issues and for clear instruction on maintenance and repairs.

Sheldon Brown's website is a mine of information, particularly if your interest is in older bikes: the glossary is a good place to start. He also explains the different component standards you are likely to encounter: the pages on bottom brackets, headsets and tyre sizes are worth bookmarking.

The Park Tools blog is bang up to date, but much of it is relevant whatever you ride. The two articles I keep referring to are derailleur adjustment (front and rear) and handlebar wrapping. It's a good place to start if you are unsure as to whether a job is within your capabilities.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
I haven't had to wrap a bar in years, but I used to find starting from the middle used to cause the tape to 'curl' particularly on the top bend behind the levers once used for a short while? It did stop the unwinding at the tape end once the finishing tape failed though, due to it being held in by the plugs or champagne corks I liked to use.

SonicRob

i've just got an old ladies universal 12 speed bike cost me £30 and run's quite well but the crank has a 48/41 chainrings on it and i was wondering could i just get a modern day crankset compact like an fsa on the bardman bike will that work ? or the poor girl won't be able to get up the hills

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
WebsizePugeot_zpsac87c15f.jpg
magnify-clip.png

Pedal Bob

It's a sure sign that you are getting older, when you think that 1988 was fairly recently, then you do the math and realise that it was 25 years ago...gulp!
Really like the look of your bike Gravity Aided, I'm going for a quick browse on Ebay......

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Made of HLE, which had titanium, aluminium, and nobium added to the steel, and internal lugs, which makes it ride a bit stiffer than my old Uo-8, if memory serves. A very responsive cycle, especially in the turns. The test ride was a very positive experience for a ride in 36 degree weather.

lmk1

peugoet perthus 753.jpg

this is a Peugeot perthus frame I bought a while back it's finished and i'll post a pic over next day or so. finished in modern components with a powder coating on frame.

Top Bottom