88 Trek 1500 upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rkcolt45

I have an 88’ Trek 1500 with Sante components/biopace with down-tube shifters (6 clicks). I haven’t ridden it in 25 years. Inspecting the components, they’re in need of replacing. I’d like to upgrade with period model dura ace components or at less the 7900 series. Trouble might be finding a dura ace down-tube shifter to fit my current aluminum frame. I’m considering a 9-10 gear rear instead of my current 7. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.

You don't say if frame needs band on or braze on, imagine the latter. Just a case of hunting on eBay.
I think you may have a freewheel rather than a cassette in which case you'll need a new hub lacing on. A ten speed freehub wheel is 130mm spacing so if you have an aluminium frame it may not be able to take it so check.

Good luck.
Edit: See you're in the States. Don't know what availability might be there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rkcolt45

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You don't say if frame needs band on or braze on, imagine the latter. Just a case of hunting on eBay.
I think you may have a freewheel rather than a cassette in which case you'll need a new hub lacing on. A ten speed freehub wheel is 130mm spacing so if you have an aluminium frame it may not be able to take it so check.

Good luck.
Edit: See you're in the States. Don't know what availability might be there.
Thanks for the response but not sure what band-on or braze-on is. I’ll include a pic if that helps. Also, my rear frame width, drop downs, is 126mm. A friend said he could cold-set to increase to 130mm.

Attachments

• 6A384308-83F7-4050-AF4F-3A3722FE1010.jpeg
    6A384308-83F7-4050-AF4F-3A3722FE1010.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 353B7821-B9DE-4054-BF8A-2A702CBE2B6B.jpeg
    353B7821-B9DE-4054-BF8A-2A702CBE2B6B.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 8

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's a braze on boss fitting as I expected. Shouldn't have any problems finding a shifter for your new set up.
The problem you're going to have is fitting a wider 9-10 speed hub into your existing frame which I suspect is not wide enough. If you had a steel frame it's not a problem as you can cold set it but you can't do that with aluminium so you might be stuck with 7 speed.
If you want more speeds you could always consider a triple up front.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rkcolt45

That's a braze on fitting as I expected. Shouldn't have any problems finding a shifter for your new set up.
The problem you're going to have is fitting a wider 9-10 speed hub into your existing frame which I suspect is not wide enough. If you had a steel frame it's not a problem as you can cold set it but you can't do that with aluminium so you might be stuck with 7 speed.
If you want more speeds you could always consider a triple up front.
Thank you Sir.

si_c

Guru
It's an aluminium frame, trying to cold set it will destroy it

My suggestion would be to get something like suntour retrofriction shifters or use any modern Dura ace in friction mode if possible.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It's an aluminium frame, trying to cold set it will destroy it

My suggestion would be to get something like suntour retrofriction shifters or use any modern Dura ace in friction mode if possible.
absolutely echo this.
Inspecting the components, they’re in need of replacing.
Is there anything actually wrong with them? I would suggest a clean up and recable. Sante was what became Ultegra (I think), so only one notch down from dura-ace anyway, and well regarded in its time.

OP
OP
R

rkcolt45

Purchased these from a coworker which he said wouldn’t work with my current setup. He said he could cold set my rear from 126mm to 130mm. I’ll give an update. After reading these responses doesn’t sound possible and still maintain frame integrity.

Attachments

• 4B09EE10-6FF7-4309-B60F-7FDEC4C02E72.jpeg
    4B09EE10-6FF7-4309-B60F-7FDEC4C02E72.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 6

si_c

Guru
Purchased these from a coworker which he said wouldn’t work with my current setup. He said he could cold set my rear from 126mm to 130mm. I’ll give an update. After reading these responses doesn’t sound possible and still maintain frame integrity.
He probably assumed that it is a steel frame, which you can cold set. You can probably sell these on if needs be, but I'd advise against using them in your frame.

OP
OP
R

rkcolt45

Cold-set finished. The future will determine if frame integrity has been compromised. Next step is installing a dura ace 10-speed component set, including downtube shifters, from the existing sante 7-speed. Tires, bar tape, pedals, and seat too.

Attachments

• E5276A34-C24B-47ED-9825-12974AA65706.jpeg
    E5276A34-C24B-47ED-9825-12974AA65706.jpeg
    352.2 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom