9/10 speed with downtube shifters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie

Errrr.....
Is this combination OK, or are there problems? I want to use downtube shifters with a modern wheelset, but wondered if there's enough range for the shifters to use all the gears.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Depends what shifters you're using and if you want indexed or friction shifting.
You can get Dura Ace downtube shifters in 9 or 10 speed (model numbers 7700 and 7800 respectively), or you could put some spacers on your freehub behind the cassette and use a 7 or 8 speed set up on a modern wheelset.

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
It would be friction shifters on a Campy cassette most likely. Given this, is 8 speed the limit?

my son uses shimano 9 speed downtube and most of the touring club have them on at least one of their bikes.
i'd like to go back to downtube on the touring bike, because it's not like i change gear a lot on it but like an idiot i got all campag on it so am stuck with ergos!

MartinC

Über Member
You can get indexed DT levers for Shimano 9 and 10 speed, as other posters have pointed. Older non-indexed shifters may work because the width of a cassette hasn't changed a great deal since 8 speed. Because the gaps on a 9 or 10 speed cassette are smaller non-indexed shifting could be quite a precise undertaking though.

Nick1979

piedwagtail91 said:
i'd like to go back to downtube on the touring bike, because it's not like i change gear a lot on it but like an idiot i got all campag on it so am stuck with ergos!

I'm sorry but what are the benefits of downtube shifters compared to Ergos??

Nick1979 said:
I'm sorry but what are the benefits of downtube shifters compared to Ergos??

less complicated and less likely to get damaged so less to go wrong. if you don't change gear much then you don't really notice too much.
we've clubmates in the middle of nowhere some south America some Australia the risk of damaging an ergo or sti is too great so they've all opted for dt changers or never had them fitted in teh first place.
i suppose it's what you've grown up with, I've been riding since bar end controls were hi tec so am used to dt. and now have had to get used used to ergo - when i'm not on fixed:biggrin:;).

byegad

Legendary Member
Bar ends would me my choice. I believe you can fit them into a down tube braze on.

Top Bottom