9-Spd Cassette recommendation...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Asalamoalaikum,

Can anyone recommend me a 9-spd cassette for my Spesh Allez Elite, please? I put a new chain on it at the weekend, thinking I could “get away” with not changing the cassette. I was wrong. The new chain was ‘skipping’ on the old cassette. So I need to get a new cassette and a 9-spd tool to remove the cassette.

Thanks.

Maz

adscrim

Veteran
Chain reaction cycles are selling tiagra cassettes for £14.99.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
John the Monkey said:
I have the cyclo one too, it's good - make sure you have a spanner large enough to fit it, and you'll need a chain whip.
Hm, I have a chain wrench which I use to remove the oil filter from my car. Will that do? Do I need a cycle-specific tool here?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Maz said:
Hm, I have a chain wrench which I use to remove the oil filter from my car. Will that do? Do I need a cycle-specific tool here?

Honest answer is that I don't know - you could offer the chain wrench up to the cassette and see if the pitch looks right, I guess?

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
If the original 9-spd cassette is an 11-28, does the replacement 9-spd have to be as well?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Changing cassette ratio can have rear mech and chain length implications. If you are increasing the range, you should check if the rear mech can handle it. If the largest sprocket is not going to be 28, you might well need to shorten the chain (if it has less teeth) or need a longer chain (if it has more teeth).

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
RecordAceFromNew said:
Changing cassette ratio can have rear mech and chain length implications. If you are increasing the range, you should check if the rear mech can handle it. If the largest sprocket is not going to be 28, you might well need to shorten the chain (if it has less teeth) or need a longer chain (if it has more teeth).
Thanks. I think I better get an 11-28 to be on the safe side.

Top Bottom