9 speed Campag block with 10 speed rear mech?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
Hmm. My Campag rear derailleur seems to have given up the ghost. Can't complain, because I've put about 20,000 miles on it, but the cassette and Ergos are still 9 speed so I don't fancy emptying my wallet to upgrade it all to 10/11 speed (which is my LBS's suggestion).

I haven't found a 9 speed rear mech, but I can get a 10 speed for £45-ish. Am I right that only the chain, Ergos, chainwheels and sprockets are 9/10 speed specific and the derailleurs aren't?

woohoo

Veteran
Ribble are selling the 9 speed Campag Champ rear mech for about £26.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=CAMPGRRR570

It has a long cage because it's meant to be used with triple set-ups and up to 13 – 29 cassettes.

In any event, I upgraded from Campag 9 to Campag 10 and didn't change the rear mech (the pulley wheels are marked as C9 – C10, so I guess it is designed to be used with either) and have had no problems, so I think there's a better than evens chance that a 10 speed mech will work fine with an otherwise 9 speed set-up.

Will1985

Über Member
10s rear mechs work perfectly with 9s cassettes. The only difference is the jockey wheels supposedly but it makes no difference. Not had any problems with mine.

Upgrading doesn't cost as much as your LBS say it will - you can get away with a 10s chain, cassette and change the ratchet in the RH ergo for about £50 all in.

Top Bottom