9 Year Olds First Mountain Bike - Help Needed Please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi. My son is 9 years old and small (132cms). He has always had Islabikes but for the past year has ignored his Islabike Beinn 24 as he can't see past his BMX. He loves going to the pump tracks with his BMX, however he is now asking for a Mountain Bike, mainly as he likes to do jumps and in particular says he would like a 'jump bike' (whatever that is?). This request is also driven by his friends. I noticed a couple of his friends have an Islabike Creig 26 which he can ride but it does look too big for him. However, those bikes are too expensive for us and there are not many available secondhand.

Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative to the Creig 26, or some other good bikes that are easier to come by second hand. Also, it has to be 'cool' by a 9 year olds standards if anyone knows what this would be! I have no idea of any technical terms of cycling/bikes. I have simply followed the Islabike sizing and bought these secondhand as he grew older so it was simple. Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Best get your facts right as you don't want to buy an uncool bike ^_^ but I thought a 'jump' bike was a specific type of BMX often ridden without a saddle but could be completely wrong, so best check with your son exactly what he defines as a 'jump' bike. We bought our grandson a Wild bike from Go Outdoors in the Black Friday sale 2 years ago (I think) https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/cycling/bikes/kids-bikes/br:wild-bikes/ Can fully remember the story but I think they are designed by an ex-Carrera designer who wasn't happy there was nothing for his children, they are ergonomically designed for the kids, in the sense the brakes are short reach, low stepover to get on etc.

But whether this is what your son wants is another matter :laugh:

OP
OP
Y

YellowRoses

Best get your facts right as you don't want to buy an uncool bike ^_^ but I thought a 'jump' bike was a specific type of BMX often ridden without a saddle but could be completely wrong, so best check with your son exactly what he defines as a 'jump' bike. We bought our grandson a Wild bike from Go Outdoors in the Black Friday sale 2 years ago (I think) https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/cycling/bikes/kids-bikes/br:wild-bikes/ Can fully remember the story but I think they are designed by an ex-Carrera designer who wasn't happy there was nothing for his children, they are ergonomically designed for the kids, in the sense the brakes are short reach, low stepover to get on etc.

But whether this is what your son wants is another matter :laugh:

My son thinks a Jump Bike looks similar to a mountain bike but with fewer gears? I have no idea and not even sure if what is in his head actually exists, he probably heard people mentioning them at the BMX track. He is getting a Mountain Bike end of :laugh:. He is still young and can choose a 'Jump Bike' once he is a bit older. I will show him the bike you mention and the Ridgeback one linked above and he can choose what is cool as I like them both. Thanks for your help

Jump bikes are hard tail, the full suspension equiv is slopestyle. These are mostly 26" wheel size ( a few 24") and singlespeed. Designed for jumps and stunts that may break a std trail sus fork.
Very brand conscious part of the market with some cooler small playas. The ebay link to an Evil is one such cool brand.

D

Deleted member 26715

You want quality kit for £35?
Maybe not but I wouldn't pay out £350 for a scratched badly rattle canned framed bike that possibly has no provenance of ownership either, but then again I am a tight wad, I do not see the value in cycles & lots of other things people are prepared to pay for.

This is the sort of thing people riding jump bikes end up doing, fairly soon. I wouldn't want my son doing that on a £35 bike. They may look simple but they really are built to take a lot of punishment. But I wouldn't want my son doing that at the age of 9 either, regardless of the bike!

20fc796d-6d82-4d6d-a313-a9bd00a02466_512x764.jpg

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Maybe not but I wouldn't pay out £350 for a scratched badly rattle canned framed bike that possibly has no provenance of ownership either,

That's pretty much jumps bikes in a nut shell. Doesn't really matter about the frame age/condition as long as they are strong and have the right geometry. It's usually more to do with the kit that's strapped to them and the overall package.

Used - frame £50, forks £100, wheels £100-150, cranks £30, XT brake £40-50, bars/stem/headset £80, tyres minimum of £20+ each.

OP
OP
Y

YellowRoses

Thanks everyone, you have all been so helpful. It is really appreciated. It is much clearer now. Looking at everything I think the Jump Bike is really for when he is older, stronger and bigger. His ability just now does not really warrant spending out on a quality Jump bike especially given he has his BMX for now at the pump/bmx tracks. I can see however how he likes these bikes the picture above makes it look like a great sport.

I will get him a mountain bike to start him off going on smaller woodland tracks first. Doing big jumps like shown above can stay in his imagination for a while yet ^_^.

Top Bottom