9 years later

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I had a BUPA health check (others are available) almost 9 years ago. The company provided it free. It had just started, and noted that the only assets it had, other than a few desks, were the employees, and therefore looking after the assets involved giving us a health check.

I did OK, but not great. My HDL cholesterol was a bit low, and lower than my LDL cholesterol that was a bit high. Blood pressure was a bit high too, and exercise levels were less than optimal.

So I started to cycle to work a couple of days a week, cut a bit of salt out of my diet (no crisps every day), and went full-time to semi-skimmed milk.
Later I got married to a vegetarian, reducing my saturated fat intake, and a couple of years ago decided to cycle into work every day. Then got a new bike with STI shifters, and a hobby. Started doing Saturday 35 mile runs, then Sportives and and Audax. Then did a half marathon. Is my body any better?

Well, my GP's surgery wanted me to have a health check, as I never visit them (last went in 1999) and I live in middle-aged obesity City (Birmingham). So I went, and got some results.

Comparison is
LDL Cholesterol down from 3.7 to 1.1 (Bad stuff)
HDL Cholesterol up from 1.0 to 1.6 (good stuff)
Blood pressure down from 133/86 to 122/82 ish.
Resting heart rate down from (estimate) 70 to 55 bpm.
Activity level from "near optimal" to "you're doing really well".
BMI down from 24 (ideal) to 23 (ideal)
Heart attack risk in next 10 years, down from 4% to 1%.

So, whilst I cannot boast the health improvements of gb155 (amazing shrinking gaz) or any of the other major weight loss people on here, my body is doing a lot better now than it was 9 years ago. Here's to a long, healthy life, an enjoyable retirement, and many more miles on the bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well done !

Top Bottom