90-mile routes from Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
A friend at work (in training for the Etape du Tour) is looking for a different 90-mile route starting and ending in Edinburgh for this weekend as he's fed up of doing the same ones.

Can anyone suggest any good ones for him ? He's not got a Garmin or SatNav so they'd need to be human-readable !

Cheers !

Comatosed

If he's willing to jump on the train to Stirling he could cycle up Loch Earn / Loch Tay way...

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Without knowing where he has already been ....

How about FRB-Rosyth-Crossford-Backmuir-Milesmark-Greenknowes-Cleish-Crook of Devon-Yetts o' Muckhart-Dunning-Path of Condie ;)-Kinross and return through Kelty,Crossgates, Inverkeithing, FRB etc. ?

No idea of the total distance but must be thereabouts.

Basically, it's LEPRA Ed-St Andrews till Cleish, then "Phillip's Cycle Tours around Edinburgh and the Scottish Borders", by Nick Cotton - Kinross to Dunning, then straight back. There are a few climbs to keep him honest interested :ohmy:

simon_brooke

Out along the A701 to Tweedsmuir, turn right to St Mary's Loch, back along the A708 to Mountbenger, onto the B709 through Innerliethen to the junction with the B7007, back roads through Middleton to avoid the A7, then through Gorebridge back into town. About 75 miles, nice scenery, not too much climbing.

joesteve

How about down the coast road to Dunbar then up the Spott Road over to Gifford, Humbie and then on to Penicuik via any number of backroads.

or

Out to Dalkeith, over the Granites to Innerleithen and along the Tweed to Peebles. Then over the Meldons and up to West Linton before taking the moorland road back over to Penicuik.

You should find me on one of those two for my last big ride before L'Etape.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Thanks all - I've passed those on to him for the weekend.

He says many thanks for the help (I must get him to join the forum sometime !)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
How about Longformacus and back, a combination of these two routes (one and two). Follow route one to Longformacus then turn right follow, that road to the end, then turn left to join route two. Plenty of hill training... :biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
goo_mason said:
Thanks all - I've passed those on to him for the weekend.

He says many thanks for the help (I must get him to join the forum sometime !)
He could of course set himself to do ALL of them, report on each and award a prize to the submittor of the best ride :biggrin:

I quite like routes going through Dunfermline. Something like Edinburgh - Crammond - Burnshot Road - Queen Elizabeth Yard - South Queensferry - FRB - Inverkiething - Dunfermline - Townhill - Hillend - Saline (Back Road) - Forrestmill - Clackmannan - Alloa - Tullibody - Menstrie - Alva Fishcross - Solgirth - Saline (B914) - Townhill - Dunfermline - Inverkiething - FRB - SQ - QEyard - Crammond - Edinburgh. There so many options to get nice circular route bt quiet lanes or B roads in Fife

Here's a couple of routes starting in Dunfermline (a or b or c or d) its 16.5 miles from Granton to there via Silerknowes Prom, or 15.5 going by road which includes a 2 mile divesion to the folks.

Top Bottom